Walked on Roof

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
German69

Walked on Roof

Post by German69 »

My roof is full of small dents from someone at some time walking on the roof, any recomindations as to how I should remove them? the less bondo the better. Thanks
smyrnaguy

Re: Walked on Roof

Post by smyrnaguy »

Hammer and dolly and probably a shrinking wheel.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Take it to one of the hail dent places first and get their opinion on what the possibility is of doing it without doing all the work. If you are looking at just "depressions", it's worth a free ask. If you have creases, there will be little choice except removing the headliner and dong the metal work. Decent metal work will require only minimal bondo to make it flat again. But you're talking a big job nonetheless and a new headliner unless you're really careful. In any case, you will face a headliner reinstall. Try the easy way first.

doc
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

I agree with doc, have someone with experience repairing that kind of contour and damage have a look at it before you get too involved with it. I've seen miracles happen when the paintless dent repair guys go to work.

If all else fails, I've had good luck with a rubber mallet on my roof. I had a carport attack my baja years ago and the legs pounded my roof pretty good in a couple places. Dents in that kind of contour are a little tricky to deal with. It's easy to make more work for yourself than necessary with a hammer, requiring more filler, etc. As long as there's no creases or sharp ridges in the damaged area, there's a good chance it can be repaired with some well placed mallet blows. With all the windows and headliner out, an average sized person can feel with one hand and bump with the other and gently remove roof dents from the inside out. It all depends on how bad the damage is of course....how much has the metal been stretched??
Karl

DON'T QUIT
German69

Post by German69 »

Thanks guys, I plAn on removing my headliner and striping my roof to redo it. As soon as I get there I will ask for some more help and post up pictures.