Hinge pin problem

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
harryset

Hinge pin problem

Post by harryset »

I have been working on removing a rusted in hinge pin on my 72 standard. I first tried using a very heavy duty hinge pin tool, but broke it after getting the pin to move out about 1/2". Really surprises me that I could move it this far and then stuck seemingly solid. I've tried heat, pb blaster, vise grips don't even budge it, drilling seems impossible, going to try air hammer and homemade pin punch. . . anything you all can recommend?
'72 Standard
"I am the proud owner of a "Hoover Bit".

185 60's, EMPI disc kit, EMPI 2 1/2" dropped spindles on the front.
185 65's and stock binders on the back.
SecondSkin - Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro for sound control.
doc
Site Admin

Re: Hinge pin problem

Post by doc »

Lots of penetrating oil, maybe left to sit a few days with repeated applications and heat. When you get to the chance to hit at it, one real solid blow is better than lots of tapping. These can be a bandit to get out.

Good luck!

doc
Beatlenut

Post by Beatlenut »

For what its worth, I wouldn't bang on them, the hinges are attached to sheet metal. Here's two removal tools, one expensive, one not.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=522550

http://danandteri.blogspot.com/2009/05/ ... usher.html

I know they only come out one way. UP!

That's all I got. :?
martyrg

Post by martyrg »

I've had the best luck using an air hammer to drive with a blunt punch, to drive a hand held pin punch. It helps if you use duct tape to hold the blunt punch and the pin punch together. This way the two won't slide apart when you use it. Start out slow with the air hammer - the vibrations are what do the trick. Good luck.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I was watching the new show that Spike TV (it will be replayed tomorrow) has and they were tearing down a '67 Nova (partially sponsored by lock tight) and the comment was made that they were putting thread lube on the stuck or stiff bolts and letting it soak for a second. The guy removing the bolts said he could actually feel the thread lube making it easier to remove the bolts. It might be worth a try.

Lee