virgin panel repairer needs help

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
remm340912

virgin panel repairer needs help

Post by remm340912 »

hi all,
I just got hold of a 58 split and the roof is absolutely totaled. Just wondering if i can weld the roof off a 65 split onto it and how do i go about this? Are there any links or good reference guides?. By the way I will be learning how to weld so if its too difficulty a job for a newbie should i save up and get a pro to do it?

Cheers
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

a 65 split?

Not one that I'd start with.. unless you're VERY patience.

Let's start with your tools - list what you have?

Welcome to STF.

Tim
remm340912

Post by remm340912 »

hmm lets see. I have aboslutely nothing as its my first resto attempt. God its so embaressing :)
Oldbugss

Post by Oldbugss »

Don't be embarrassed. We all had to start somewhere at one point.

If you can afford to have someone do it that is knowledgeable, it would be nice. If you could assist in the procedure that would be a bonus. Not all "pro's" would allow this. Do you have anyone around you that is a car nut with tools?

I remember the frustrations of not having the proper tools for this stuff. I did learn however, to wait and get those tools before attempting major panel replacements.

Dennis~
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I'm thinking this is one you will definitely need assistance with. It's going to be a big job requiring a number of skills - fitting and welding will be critical. You have fallen on a particularly tough project to start. A really big job. Without tools and experience, it will be tough to get through without some help.

That said, panel replacement is panel replacement. It's not rocket science. The procedure is very straight forward. But you're not going to learn to weld in an afternoon.

You need an experienced partner to help you with the parts you will be facing for the first time.

My 2 cents.

doc
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Reason I asked about the year of the car is the dividing line for early steel is 63.. this may different if you're in a non US country.

I hire this out on my cars after doing a few.. the $400 is less than my hammer through the wall and frustration budget.

How are your doors?.. these would be tougher.