Accident June 28, 2009.. Need type one parts for '62!

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
hemifalcon

Accident June 28, 2009.. Need type one parts for '62!

Post by hemifalcon »

So, there I was, running late to get down to NIVA"s Bugfest in West Chicago, and had just left my house 2 minutes earlier.. maybe less. I looked both ways from the stop sign moving into east/west bound lanes and saw no cars. The only car was a car coming from the west with his turn signal on to turn onto the street i was turning from. I looked west, and then proceeded and just as I did, I realized the guy from the east didn't turn, but still had his turn signal on. We both slammed on our brakes (him in his POS '94 Dodge intrepid).. We collided in the middle of the highway, luckily we'd slowed pretty well. I couldn't get the car into reverse while having the wheels jammed up, and my fender/bumper/quarterpanel took the damage while his plastic bumpered rust bucket got one more of a dozen scuffs on it's plastic bumper. So, here are the pictures. I was cited cuz i was at the stop sign and moving into traffic. I can't argue that obviously. My mistake-- but $hit..
so, does anyone have an NOS headlight ring, or an original headlight bucket, german headlight glass cover, or front apron they wanna donate?? ;-)
This sucks--what a bite in the ass. I had full coverage, i'll be hearing from State Farm in a few days and will be pricing out the body work. The fender was an original '60 piece.. Hopefully the quarter can be pulled out and minimal filler used--it was all perfect sheetmetal before.. Basically, the fender just got pushed in about an inch.. The stainless Harrington bumper is pretty flexible, may be able to repair that.. Luckily, the hood didn't get a scratch on it. The front apron, quarter panel, and fender are all in need of help. I think the only way the fender could be repaired is if someone had an english wheel. But, i'd rather just get another fender that needs some light repair. Ah well--$hit happens!!
Here are big pictures of the damage.. I'll need a fender, a bumper unless the stainless can be beaten, straightened, and such. Headlight ring, headlight glass cover, seal, and maybe a headlight bucket assy. Obviously, the quarterpanel, and front apron will have to be straightened. Luckily, the hood didn't get damaged at all. If anyone has a line on a clip/apron, and a fender, headlight pieces, please let me know!

turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

That's horrible!

Very sorry to hear about the accident, looks like a really clean/straight bug too. Good luck getting parts lined up and hopefully your insurance will help out.

I did almost the exact same thing when I was 16 driving my dads '66 Baja. A truck was heading my way from the left side with its right turn signal on, nobody on the right, so I went for it........BAM! A '76 F250 T-boned me right in the driver's door. I got the failure to yield ticket and my dads pride and joy, literally, was totalled. 2 months of driving and my insurance company made me surrender my license to avoid charging my parents really high rates.......tough pill to swallow for a teenager.

Best of luck with the repairs.
Karl

DON'T QUIT
hemifalcon

Post by hemifalcon »

Karl,
Thanks.. Here she was a couple months ago.. Just taken in front of my place after washing. . I drove it out to the Classic, and back again--had my share of mechanical problems--but over 5,000 miles there and back in less than 10 days.. And bam, this happens 2 blocks from my house.. It hurts, and i know my story is familiar to other VW owners.. Unfortunately, our cars are fragile, sometimes we make mistakes, and luckily, if we're smart, we've got insurance that will pay for our mistakes (minus the deductible!).
Hopefully I can find a nice apron from a donor car, and an OG fender to get it all back how itwas before..
We'll see,
John
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

PM me.. I have a few opinions.. first of them is to avoid a hotrod or collision shop... there are VW only options in our region that cost less.

I have parts.. let's see what the insurance company says

Feeling for you.
red_rock_beetle

Re: Accident June 28, 2009.. Need type one parts for '62!

Post by red_rock_beetle »

bumper did its job, could have been more damage to the fromt apron