original paint type. '72 bus. Or any other for that matter.

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
aircoolpoirot

original paint type. '72 bus. Or any other for that matter.

Post by aircoolpoirot »

just thinking about painting my 1972 neptune blue bay.
i'm drawn towards the roller idea.
not certain which paint to use yet.
the yacht paint that people rave about only seems available in standard colours.
there's a manufacturer nearby who makes various types of coach enamel and match colours.

anyway, my actual question is, and i can't seem to find this on the web,

what type of paint were VW using in the 1970's?

i'm curious, because my first thought, after how much money i'll save, is whether i'm doing the van justice.
MNAirHead

Re: original paint type. '72 bus. Or any other for that matt

Post by MNAirHead »

aircoolpoirot wrote:just thinking about painting my 1972 neptune blue bay.
i'm drawn towards the roller idea.
not certain which paint to use yet.
the yacht paint that people rave about only seems available in standard colours.
there's a manufacturer nearby who makes various types of coach enamel and match colours.

anyway, my actual question is, and i can't seem to find this on the web,

what type of paint were VW using in the 1970's?

i'm curious, because my first thought, after how much money i'll save, is whether i'm doing the van justice.
To save you from a long thread of opinions... let's start out with a few questions

1-What condition is the bus in (oxidided.. surface rust.. sun faded.. wrong color.. crusty rust)

2-Do you ever plan on redoing the bus 100%

3-Is your objective to save money, make it look uniform, learn... you name the goals.

Welcome to STF - I'll be back on line Monday and would like to right size the opinions to your truck. I've done most of the techniques - they all have their own advantages.

We're here to help your success.

Timmy
aircoolpoirot

Post by aircoolpoirot »

hello and thanks; i need all the help i can get.
BTW, i'm in the UK.
The bus has been resprayed at some point. Probably cellulose. (one coat, in the states?)
i'm just poised to weld up it's bottom-6-inch issues, but it will need paint soon.
a complicating, and price increasing factor, is that i want the inside doing as well, though not the front panel which looks ok.
apparently paint doesn't like glue. i've removed most of it with thinners, but it sounds like i need to remove every last molecule of it.
my options are:

1)paying someone for 2 pack (base coat/clear coat). this is expensive. last quote was £3k. good paint alone is £600.

or, paying someone for cellulose. i haven't got a price on this.

2)otherwise, i do it, or most of it, myself.
the options, apparently, being:

a roller and enamel paint. people promise good results for this.

or, and i'm thinking along these lines at the moment, buy a cheap HVLP sprayer, and prime the van ready for 2 pack. this should save a lot of labour cost.

basically, 3 grand prices me out of the job. i'd be happy running it rat look for a while as long as the metal's good, but keeping it good in this climate needs paint.

thanks again, in advance, pete
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Welcome to STF.

Overall.. from what you're describing, it would be adviseable to consider doing a 2 part (bascoat clear coat) finish.. for a first timer, it's easier to repair and blend than single stage.

The issue with a roller is that it will leave marks, drips and sags that will all have to either be 100% removed or hand worked (countless hours) if you ever choose to have it painted.

We'd be more than willing to talk you step by step on how to do your own paint job.

With an HLVP, you do not need a huge compre$$or..

Electric tools will do the job just fine for the prep.

My hunch is that you do not want a roller paint job. .. send me your email .. I can take a few photos of what a satin black brush job looks like.

Tim