Finally decided

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
crvc

Finally decided

Post by crvc »

I've been vacillating for a year or two over painting the 1967 bug I've been working for the same amount of time. Somewhere I saw where a guy had painted his bug using spray cans. And also saw how much it would cost to paint using quality products. Hmm...a couple thousand for quality or a couple hundred for spray cans. So as an experiment I primed and sprayed this part of the car.

Not a great job but I expect it will mostly be hidden by the bumper. And I learned not to spray when 40mph wind is swirling through the garage. Now that it's dried I can feel a hundred grains of dirt embedded. So I'll sand again and spray some more with the garage closed.

The photo came out a greenish-blue but in sunlight it's a robin's egg blue.

I picked up a can of rustoleum enamel on a whim. I have a spray gun and I assume I can buy the same product in quart-sized cans.

I'm still deciding what to do about the rusty front corners of the fenders but I can get started sanding other spots now.

kevin
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Have you considered Zero Rust.. it's a flatish looking paint.. you can shoot it.. about $50 per gallon

I don't remember what the salt spray test was on this.
crvc

Post by crvc »

Under that part there's a triangular brace running the width, open at both ends. I used Rust Bullet in a spray can to get protection by spraying into the tube at both ends. I'd like to use the spray gun to go under the fenders, outside of the pan, places where it won't be seen. Otherwise the gallon container will go to waste.

Rust Bullet is considered just as good as Zero Rust but much cheaper. I used RB on the pan two years ago and the pan has been outside in the weather ever since. Although the black paint turned gray there still is no signs of rust anywhere.

kevin