camo - how to?

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
bones

camo - how to?

Post by bones »

Anyone have experience on how to do camo? thanks JD
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Couple of methods..

Do you have any samples of stuff you like?

One of my favorites is using actual Maple leaves as a template to spray around.. the entire car is in the base color.. then the leaves are randomly used for the pattern..

There are some VERY sweet hand done random ones out there... all air brushed.

If it's a beater, nothing like brush paint.

T.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

What the military does is draw out on the vehicle in a jig saw puzzle pattern and number each cell, each number has a corresponding paint color, usually separated by another color. The colors depend on the terrain you are in. Object is to break up the lines of the object to blend with the surrounding. Make sure you show us what your starting with and what you end up with, in camo there really is no wrong way.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Leather..

Do they just do this freehand?

I'm guessing they brush paint it on.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

The designs I saw where all hand drawn, but there is a reason to the madness, but if you treat it like a jigsaw numbering as you go keeping colors separated it will come out fine, really hard to screw up a camo job.
tragicmagicman

Post by tragicmagicman »

like this? Image
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I always kinda dug the German Naval camo... looks like modern art.

(since you can't really "hide" something 500 feet long, you can make it look like 2-3 other smaller things)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Pile.. you would.. until...

My wife and I bought a company.. the entire front was done in this hanous color scheme... folks seriously would drop in thinking it was a chilld care.
UJSLOST

Post by UJSLOST »

do a google search for camo clad. stuff works great and looks great but its expensive. Its a vinyl wrap but alot of the truck guys just use it on their rocker panels and tail gate. Good stuff.
Bugfuel

Post by Bugfuel »

that Navy big ship camo paint scheme was called Razzle Dazzle, if memory serves. Look it up too. I like to call it "city camo". Well I did in the 90's :)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

UJSLOST wrote:do a google search for camo clad. stuff works great and looks great but its expensive. Its a vinyl wrap but alot of the truck guys just use it on their rocker panels and tail gate. Good stuff.
There is a local with a Jeep CJ that has it totally done in that camo vinyl... Looks decent.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
tragicmagicman

Post by tragicmagicman »

bump