two tone paint

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
pafree

two tone paint

Post by pafree »

i want to try the two tone paint on project. i did a search and understand the masking tape as far as where to tape off. i didnt find a process for the edge of the two colors. is there sanding steps or a way to paint so there is not a big step down? or is this just something that is going to happen? this is my new offroad beater and i thought i could try it on her to get the practice. the side panels will be darker than the rest of the car.

just an example of what i am going for but not those colors.

doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

If you use basecoat/clearcoat paint system, the clear top coat will smooth everything up. If you use single stage paint and only paint part of the car, there is going to be a step.

doc
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

If it's offroad.. you could consider a blend etc...

The bummer for single stage is that it's very tough to touch up..

What colors are you considering.
pafree

Post by pafree »

MNAirHead wrote:If it's offroad.. you could consider a blend etc...

The bummer for single stage is that it's very tough to touch up..

What colors are you considering.
MF gray body (lighter gray) with Ajax gray (darker gray) body panel. i agree with the touch up factor. i am too rough on paint jobs to get too fancy. just sharpening paint skills for later projects. which is the better masking tape to use blue or green? i had thought about using cheap pinstriping for the line and then add masking tape and paper to protect the rest of the car. i used Bugselecta and colors look good together. the door panels and dash will be the Ajax gray.

MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Hello

Couple of notes.

2 Tone color -
If you're not totally set on your color and are flexible.... mix your favorite color (or find one on an exact car)... get some mixed in house latex paint.. then tint or shade from this color for your 2nd tone. I've picked up a few customer cars that were from VW colors that did not mix well.. the colors were in different families.

It's common to find some "mistint" grey if you're not picky.

Tape
Actually there's a "feather" tape.. it's not cheap.. it's inteded to feather in a line. This may work.

Single stage Acrylic is slightly tougher.. is tougher to touch up.

Are you considering metallic or smooth for your texture?

My next baja is going grey.. it took me tons and tons of homework to find a color that looked sharp.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Forgot to answer one of your questions...

"Pinstriping Tape"
Your notes hinted toward using pinstriping tape...

This does work.. it's commonly used on big boxy US vans when to hide/blend 2 tones.

The talent part for a VW will be that the lines are not staight they have an Arc.

A 2nd option would be to do this with a hand line pinstriping brush.

This would be tougher if this a one piece front end.

Tim

PS - I'm out of the country. I may have some pix of a 2 tone paint job on a private server at home.
pafree

Post by pafree »

this is on my baja.

this is the MF tractor grey

this is the Ajax grey for the side panels. i always have some for touch ups and the MF grey also comes in a rattle can if needed.

MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

The colors look good together.

Your car should be fairly easy to do a tape line then pin stripe on it...