painted retro signs

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
blue77bay

painted retro signs

Post by blue77bay »

We have managed to buy back a 64 bug we owned 5 years ago and sold off and now would like to keep ,to complete the rat "look" we want we would like to add an old advertising sign to the doors,painted on then distressed to appear as old as the paint its going on,has anybody done this and could you give me an idea of the procedures you used .The paint on the car is original and in reasonable but faded condition. I have used the search function but couldn't find a topic or thread matching.
thanks
david58

Post by david58 »

I think if you used some cheap flat spray paint let it dry real well then sanded it with some 2000 or 3000 grit paper you could make it look dated. Or even brushed it on with a course bristled brush. You could even mix some sand in the paint bucket for some added texture. Paint and body shops can match faded paint also.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

I've done it a few times.

Assuming the paint is stable.. then start.

I've done it a few ways..

1-Myself.. Made up the sign in Corel.. printed out on an overhead transparancy.. then projected on the car.. . Biggest issue with this is that I was "too good" and the paint was a bit unrealistic. Looked almost computer generated.

2-Hired it Out.. Not sure about your area, but around here there still are a few hand sign painters who can do this stuff for just a little money... To give the guy a concept, I once again did a sign in Corel.. printed it out in negative.. then pasted it on to a board for him to play with.

The biggest part of the task is "destressing it. This is where the real art comes in. Most folks do not study what age does to signs etc. The "destressing" is not natural..

How to do it? Start with some 400 grit sand paper.. and lightly remove some material in the "real" places.

The 2nd clue is to pick authentic colors and techniques. I've seen some period signs that missed the drop shadows etc.... or were done in vibrant/synthetic colors.

Ovrerall.. when doing this to my single cab - will be projecting the art onto the side of the bus then having the hand sign guy use this as a concept for his lettering etc.

HINT.. you can find cheap projectors at schools and churches.. many folks will rent them as they're boat anchors intoday's world.
blue77bay

Post by blue77bay »

Thanks guys,we have picked out a sign for a bar,3 colour, and i was going to create a template and use my small touch up gun to spray it,as you say the distressing part is the most difficult and i was thinking of just rubbing it out in patches,i will use a single pac acrylic with flattening base added,guess i will just have to suck it and see ,keep you posted
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

David correctly noted to brush paint this on...

Long deliberate strokes are what they used to use.

The added benefit is that most of the distressing is in the buildup and wearoff of the "paint ledge"

Wouldn't air Brush make it look more like Grafitti?

Please post pix... I"m looking for some ideas and samples.
fusername

Post by fusername »

also when it is mostly dry you can lay tape on it then quickly pull it off. I have never tried this, but someone did this on their bus to add a "bad apple" logo on the side, and it looked GREAT. try searching to see if you can find it, over on TOS. there may be more details I have forgotten.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

I was thinking of this post yesterday.

Thought of a restaurant chain that does tons of this type of fake distressed signage.

Not sure if they're in your area.. there may be some stuff on the site.

I could pop in and take pix if you had some indication of what you'd like.

http://www.famousdaves.com/

Other thought is that there must be some webpage devoted to historic signage.

T.