Wheels under wings IRS'ed 64 bug

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
John_S

Wheels under wings IRS'ed 64 bug

Post by John_S »

not sure if i'm in the right section..... appoligies if i am
as it says i have a 1964 bug that i've IRS'd but due to the wide track of IRS my wheels are inline with the wings i'm currently running polished wide 5 alloys. I'm led to belive that the Ofset of the wheels is half the grief and the other half is a 60's bug has thinner backend. Just so i can run the car i'm running low profile 185's on the rear but i only have about 1.5" of suspension upward movement before i hit the bump stops.
before i go silly and hack the wings and add an inch to them.
does any body have any experience with my grief ???
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Sorry for the delay.

Yes have had this issue. The unfortunate part of a bug is that they were built for skinny 4.5" tires.. the height was also almost fully exposing the tire/rim.

When looking at Yankee pix... chances are they're using a non-traditional offset.. OR.. many of my drag race pals will cut 2 fenders apart and extend the fenders an inch or so.

I've tried fiberglass.. unfortunately mixing steel and plastic paints different for such a big part of the car.

My next project like this is going a ton of fiberglass.. I'll be having 8" rear tires.. they're going to be a lower profile Forumula1 style tire...

I'll be planning on doing a ton of exerimenting to make all this happen.

HINT - In the USA there are botique stores that specialize in "ghettoizing" cars.. these folks are INCREDIBLE at measuring offset etc. I'll commonly pull in and give them pizza money for an opinion and quick measurement.

Sorry there's no cut and dried answer.. there is a ton of measuring.

IRS cars are a bit easier.

Tim

HINT - Remember that earlier axles are narrower.. I'm unsure of your axle width.. in the US.. pre 61 cars had a narrower track in the hind... you'd need the axles and tubes.
Camo

Post by Camo »

I have a 61 beetle and have just been playing with a set of wheels to work out offsets. Anyway, I can get a 17x8 rim with 235/45 tyre under the standard rear guard with ease. This being 20mm offset.

I also have the same wheel on the front with a 30mm offset and it in line with the outer guard edge.

Wheels are off an Australian car and I have also fitted 4 wheel disc brakes. So its all about working out where your wheel will sit and the offset you require.

I am actually going to be buying 18x8 rims with 235/40ZR18 tyres.

Hope this helps.

Kevin