Bugstuff Door Bars. any thoughts on these?

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
theKbStockpiler

Bugstuff Door Bars. any thoughts on these?

Post by theKbStockpiler »

I have mostly decided to make my own bolt on body braces when I change my heater channels. For about $130 these are available but I highly doubt that they fit perfectly out of the box for about $50 a side and I would just have to modify them or shim them and regret buying them. They must have jigs to make them but I'm betting that if they are close they get the seal of approval anyways.

Has any one ever used these?

Super beetle with attitude
mac2881994

Re: Bugstuff Door Bars. any thoughts on these?

Post by mac2881994 »

When I did mine a few years back I used two pieces of angle iron with a turnbuckle welded in the middle. two tack welds on each end held the adjustable bracket in place and also allowed me to fine tune the size of the door opening prior to welding the A and B pillars to the channel. I bought cheap turnbuckles from Rural king and sand blasted the galvanized parts prior to welding them to the angle iron.
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Most of the door bars I see in race cars, usually to a cage but not always, are in an "X". That allows easier exit and top to bottom control of the opening.

Lee

For what it is worth. My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Addn'l. I wonder if, when using spherical rod ends and an "X" design if the ends could be mounted on the front door frame of the body (vertical mounting would allow less pivot than a horizontal mount) then latched at the rear allowing the door bar to be pivoted to allow easier entrance and egress. Just a thought!

L
theKbStockpiler

Thank you for the input. I think I'll come up with my own adjustable version somehow. I want a bolt on version although I realize it will not really be that much better.
theKbStockpiler

[quote= Most of the door bars I see in race cars, usually to a cage but not always, are in an "X" [/u]
These are only meant for temporary use while changing the heater channels. :D
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

They still are good temp or permanent :wink: . Side hits are not usually love taps.

Usually if you are doing temp bars for strength and alignment when pulling a car off the frame/pan you brace the door area fore and aft plus diagonal bracing or cross bracing from one side to the other and from low points to higher points to stop "tuck-in" from the bottom.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I woke up this morning with a start as I remembered where I had seen something like what was in your picture before. They were "door bars"; a replacement for doors. It was a looooong time ago that I saw a car or a Jeep with something similar. I think they used either clevises or spherical rod ends in the front with the mounts using the door hinge bolts and the rear used the door latch location. I think the state made the guy to either remove them or "skin" them for safety in-case of a wreck so no one was thrown out of the vehicle. Now days the side-by-sides just use straps.

I think that is why I reacted the way I did.

I hope things are going OK with the heater channel replacement.

Lee