KeirnBug'z Buggy

Post pictures of your pride and joy here!
keirnbug

KeirnBug'z Buggy

Post by keirnbug »

Thougt I'll share my project with you, It aint fancy or anything, but I enjoy it a lot so far.

But the original colour ? It just looked too much like an old bathtub.

Enjoy this !!

Sideshot

So the first thing was to rip it apart and apply some good old fashion.. white.

And there you also see the first set of rims we tryed out, looked kind of nice, but they didn't stay for very long :)

Here is the engine in place, it is a CV 2.0 litre bus (type 4), it was "interesting" to fit it on the tranny, apparantly there are other flywheels better suited for this setup, but it worked out fine in the end. The most expensive part was actually the new bus starter.
keirnbug

Post by keirnbug »

Here is another shot of the engine test fitted, and the new rear rim, 22".

And of course, at some point everything tends to go out of hand :)

And since I am such a .. ehm, dork, I wanted to use the original FI for this setup, not because I have to, but because i want to !!

Ok, before you all go nuts, this build is on a strict budget, and I just want to have some fun with it. I am however going to build a "proper" engine for it this coming winter, but this will do for now.

Here is the oil return / filler / catchtank coming along :)

I allways want to keep things as simple as possible.
keirnbug

Post by keirnbug »

I just had to post a pic of my little workshop, I have been longing for this soo long!!

And here is the outcome so far, I've decided to put some 18 or maybe 19" rims in the front, this will make it look a bit more "Buggy'ish"

More to come :)
Frallan

Post by Frallan »

That is clearly different and cool ideas.
Will follow this build.

Frallan
keirnbug

Post by keirnbug »

Allrigt, made som progress today, done most of the new wiering in the front, made some new parts and generally just worked some old stuff over..

I love thw VW euro wire harness, for some reason I have used this on several cars (not allways VW's) :)

See picture, try to figure out what kind of car it is :D

And today a lightswitch and some other stuff found its way into the buggy, most of it is hidden, but here is a lovley shot of the switch

I also made some effort to securly mount the L-jet ECU and made a nice bay for the battery..

Testmounted the spacers I will use for the front rims.
keirnbug

Post by keirnbug »

A few other things got done as well, and here is the picture to prove it ..

Made a frame for the steeringcollumn...

Got the blinkers mounted and tested

Here is the newly refurbished front seats..

Rear seat testmounted

Thats about it for today
keirnbug

Post by keirnbug »

And the finished product goes a little like this : :D :D :D

I have never seen so many thumbs up in my life, well not in the same day atleast :D
keirnbug

Post by keirnbug »

So, in my quest for finding more juice in that Type 4, i decided to make som new fuelrails for "standard" BOSCH injectors, the one to the left is my first mockup.

HPjunkie

Re: KeirnBug'z Buggy

Post by HPjunkie »

Great project! How do you like the turbo? How much boost are you running?
xpafiolis

Post by xpafiolis »

dude we need a follow up! i need more info on this!

how did the turbo run with the stock motor??? i want to turbo my stock type 4 FI in my 59 singlecab any info would help!
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

xpafiolis wrote:dude we need a follow up! i need more info on this!

how did the turbo run with the stock motor??? i want to turbo my stock type 4 FI in my 59 singlecab any info would help!
L-jet is really easy to work with, it just adapts to more airflow. I know a guy who did something similar years ago and he said he just adjusted the spring tension on the air flap inside the flow meter. It was a draw-through set up just like this buggy. You might need to richen the mixture up a little too, but also easy to do by adjusting the allen screw on the air flow meter, or if you still need more enrichment across the board you just add a resistor to the temp. II sensor in the cylinder head.

As long as you don't run a heavy cam or high lift rockers, L-jet will work.