1974 Karmann Ghia

Post pictures of your pride and joy here!
flat_iv

1974 Karmann Ghia

Post by flat_iv »

Dropped Spindles, Lowered 1 inside notch in the rear, 2.2 Subaru Engine....WORK IN PROGRESS...
crocteau

Post by crocteau »

Looking good! I like the wheels, stance and color. Are you planning to replace the side molding strips? Show us that engine and how you're cooling it. :wink:
Charley
flat_iv

Post by flat_iv »

I will try and post some more pics tonight. The molding is the last of my priorities for the car. Like everyone else the list is a mile long and keeps growing.
flat_iv

Post by flat_iv »

The seats are out of a Mitsubishi lancer, Autometer Gauges. I am thinking of using the originals because I have taken the clockout and converted it into a tachometer

The engine is complete but I still need to rework the air intake. You can see where I have used a little putty to add a air line to the intake.

Exhaust header is a factory Subaru 1.8 modified. I cut approx. 2" to shorted the header. Using a Borla muffler. Still have to fabricate heat shields because of the radiator lines. From the camera angle the lines look closer than they really are.

Oil pan will have to be shortened. It hangs to low for me.

Originally I planned on cutting the horn opening larges to get more air to the radiator and opening the nostrils. Now that the car is lower I might add a small piece of sheetmetal under the car to bring air in from under the car. Would still have to cut open infront of the radiator. Radiator is from an early Golf\Jetta. (2) 10" fans.
crocteau

Post by crocteau »

Wow! :shock: You've done some major mods! From the first pics it looked like all you needed to complete the exterior were the molding strips. Seems like bringing air to the radiator via the nostrils is a sound idea, then an opening in the hollow behind the fans for a flow through effect, maybe? I see what you mean about the sump. :( Gotta love the roominess of the Ghia's engine compartment, plenty of space for a turbo... :wink:. Add a rear valence and I think it could be a real sleeper.
flat_iv

Post by flat_iv »

My real goal is to get the 2.2 running and drive it for a while and then put in a EJ20 turbo. And sell the 2.2 as a full package ECU, Engine and Exhaust. I had to make the valance removable to get the engine into the compartment. I tried everyway that I know of to get the engine in from underneath and it just wouldnt work. I do have the sheetmetal removed from behind the radiator. I will have the radiator out this weekend and will take a better pic and post it. You will also notice from the pics that I rotated the intake maniflod 180 deg. and rellocated the alternator. It seems to look and work out pretty well. I just didnt want to cut the firewall.
vwbloodline

Post by vwbloodline »

Thats sweet man. Definitely keep us updating there aren't many custom ghia's on here or detailed Subaru swaps. Has the vss given you any problems?
how low can you go

Post by how low can you go »

S W E E T
vwbloodline

Post by vwbloodline »

That more I look at your Ghia the more I know I have to say the obvious. That is an EXTREMELY clean Ghia. I thought mine was clean for have the original paint and being straight but the front has had a little work and primer. However yours is just straight up clean.
vwbloodline

Post by vwbloodline »

Find out anything new?
flat_iv

Post by flat_iv »

Sorry for the late postings but the VSS has not give me any problems. I am using a NPN prox. mounted in the spindle and it is looking for the lug bolts to create a signal. I has worked flawlessly. I have been driving it a good bit. The only thing I am going to do is to add back the factory spindles because with a full tank of gas the car sits way to low to even drive safely. Dont want to tear up the fender wells. To get air to the radiator all I have done is cut a rectangle from underneath approx. 3"x12" and a small scoup to pull air into the radiator and it has never gotten over 195 deg. Mostly it sits around 185 deg going down the road. Last time it go to 195 I was in the drivethru in the middle of summer and it was 110% humidity outside. I did install some used early model 3 series BWM seats. They are super comprtable and look better mounted in the ghia.
vwbloodline

Post by vwbloodline »

I have been looking for the same seats since my buddy had a 325i, they are comfortable and match the car as you stated. Are your gauges 5" or larger, I am trying to compare my options for designing a dash. Have you though about narrowing your front axle 2" to keep it low and not rub? Any rough mpg numbers yet? Thanks, I don't mean to annoy with the amount of questions however you are quite inspiring.
flat_iv

Post by flat_iv »

Yeah, the guages are Autometer's 5" electronic speedo and tach. I am a little disapointed in the lighting from the guages. The factory guages have 100% better lighting at night. Thinking about sending the speedo out to be calibrated for my tire size. I have already figured out a way to modify my clock into a tachometer. Just have not done it yet. If you are looking into new guages look at speedhut.com. They are a little pricey but they are the best guages I have ever seen. I did think about narrowing the front end but I was worrying about the handling. Plus raising it back up I can gain some ground clearance. The oil pan does hang low. I will take a few new pics and post.
vwbloodline

Post by vwbloodline »

I measured the area on my ghia for gauges, also looked at the poor visibility through my steering wheel and decided to just stick with the sleeper look for now. If you convert your clock to the easiest way that I have figured, your red line on that engine will actually match the red line on your gas gauge. It couldn't be more perfect.
vwbloodline

Post by vwbloodline »

Find out anything new? Have you been able to drive it a lot? Any mpg figures yet? Peace