'78 CE II Build (Rare Peach red Metallic)

DeMinimis

'78 CE II Build (Rare Peach red Metallic)

Post by DeMinimis » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:37 am

I gave this a week on that other site. Lots of interested, but nothing serious. I'll give it a go here for a bit. I'm busy with my latest buggy project and still can't seem to find the time to complete my Bug. Might also be moving and building a new shop in the not so distant future. Thought I'd give this a go. No biggie if doesn't sell as I'll get back to it eventually. Probably only run the ad for a week or so (however long it takes to get the buggy to roller status so I can free up shop space so I can get back to the Bug). I can't even begin to remember everything that is included, but know this, none of it is junk. I'll start with the bad. Will need the correct vinyl top from Chuck's. When I ordered the new complete top, I ordered the wrong exterior vinyl. Should be the "Sand" top. Ordered the white pin hole top (got rid of that part some time back). Everything else is there and new (liner, pads, window frame). Will need miscellaneous rubber nick knacks. I have almost all the new WCM rubber, but there will be some missing pieces that you can get from Wolfsburg West or direct from WCM. The original bumpers will need new rubber strips (actually, I think only one, but I might have both new rubber strips or neither...crap, I can't recall for sure as I have boxes upon boxes of new parts. Available from Wolfsburg if needed). Oh, and you'll need to assemble it (that's the fun part) The good: Fresh original code paint. All trunk and engine stickers there. Orig windshield (a rock chip star, but looks like it was sealed). Orig dent free bumpers. Never even in a fender bender. Although orig parts included, I have tons of new parts ready to be installed: new door panels (orig were cut for dreaded door speakers), carpet, that tar-like mat for the rear luggage area. I can't recall if I have new seat covers or not (it's been awhile and I have boxes upon boxes of stuff and they may not be needed (perhaps one seat panel repair is all that's needed (can't recall for sure and the driver's seat is wrapped up to protect it during the resto process...pretty sure a bottom seat panel was worn)), new front disc brake conversion kit, new shocks/struts, orig black telescoping antenna (in perfect condition (good luck finding one of those, but I also have another antenna if wanting to preserve the orig)), NEW in box period correct Blankpunt AM/FM stereo with owners manual/paperwork, new clutch (installed), Sport wheels/914 steelies (correct design for this car, but slightly wider than orig so can run easy to source 195 tires), new Bugpack or Synergy or whatever Total bushing kit in the box, etc., etc., etc. Orig speedo gear died in the 50k range (You know the one, but I have the upgraded brass gear for it (uninstalled)) and replacement new speedo has a couple thousand on it (more/less, I can't recall exactly (all in boxes and paperwork showing the swap out), but total is less than 60,000 miles if I recall correctly (if we get serious, I can get exact figures, pictures). New pans installed and painted with POR. Engine, exhaust,emissions (49 state) all unadulterated. Difficult to start when it's been sitting for months on end, but fires right up after it's been running regularly, and it purrs. Oh, org dash cracked, but I have an un-cracked true orig VW dash that goes with it (that cost a pretty penny and is just about impossible to locate (an orig dash, not a repaired dash cap one)). Obviously, I was going for a showroom, original condition restoration on this Bug. There are a couple small things that make the difference if planning on entering into shows. 1st, I like the Cal look front windshield rubber better than the one with the chrome strip (so the new one that is included is that). Only other thing is I built a custom hood strut for the passenger side hood hinge (uses the factory hinge and replaces the stupid spring with a gas strut - Not very noticeable and works way better than orig (I only did the pass side and that side was always a problem but comes with another strut if you wanted to install that one as well (comes with a correct hinge too, if I recall correctly, perhaps a couple)). Oh, one other thing. The new carpet I bought is not the orig style of carpet (the fuzzy stuff). I decided against using it as I wanted to be correct, but it's new, in the box and included (I have most of the orig fuzzy stuff, but if I recall, some portion of a piece(s) tore in the removal. New German tie rods in the box too. As I stated, I'm forgetting a lot of stuff (I mean a lot of stuff) and it seemed for a while there I kept ordering parts I already had, so lots of new parts. Everything and then some to complete the car comes with it except for the exterior top vinyl and whatever missing WCM rubber seals, as mentioned above. Only the best parts were purchased for this resto (Orig German or US made parts whenever possible -Zero off-shore junk). Owners manual and I even scored some 1978 Volkswagen license plate frames along the way, for a wee bit of bling. The reason for the repaint was a previous owner had the exterior painted white (Seriously? Barrett claims there were just over 300 of these made (not sure how they came up with that number, but it's Barrett, soo...) and a previous owner wanted white? Uggh, don't get me started). Thankfully it was a cheap paint job, so the paint came off easily and they did not paint any interior compartments such as the hood and engine cover (so all orig stickers are all intact). Painter had my car for around six months and did a wonderful job. It's downright beautiful.

The price is $8k and it is firm. Serious buyers only please.

Sorry for the lack of photos. Frankly, I prefer to do this face-to-face anyway, so you can check out everything, including all the goodies. Car is all wrapped up right now, so not looking to unwrap it just to take photos.

Eagle spoke wheels are on it now and they are included, but comes with correct design Sport /914 wheels (painted a few years back and never mounted). Tires on the Eagles are crap. They hold air, but you'll need new tires for the Sport wheels anyway.

I will not part under any circumstances (I know some of you Porsche-types would like that stereo).

Once my buggy is to roller status (1-3 weeks I'm guessing), I'll put that on hold and go back to work finishing the Bug. The Bug won't be available if I go back to work on it....well, it won't be available for only $8k.

Thanks.

This is what it will look like when completed, down to the wheel center caps:

DeMinimis

Re: '78 CE II Build (Rare Peach red Metallic)

Post by DeMinimis » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 pm

Here's one that went through Barret in 2008:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/E ... IBLE-61663

DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:09 pm

I even have the original convertible top boot! Also, has a new Bosch fuel pump installed. The other, it turned out, was fine. You get it as well.
Last edited by DeMinimis on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Image That's German for Peach Red Metallic (located under the carpet/tar in the rear luggage area). Kinda cool.