IRS trans, swap or sell

norville

IRS trans, swap or sell

Post by norville »

I have a bug IRS tranny here I'm looking to swap for a swing axle trans for a spare. The code on the side say's AT , I think It's from a 73 super.

I really don;t want to ship it but it's not out of the question. I'd sell it for $75 or swap for some parts, towbar or ??
I'm in Pa 18707
74baja1915vw

Re: IRS trans, swap or sell

Post by 74baja1915vw »

What kind of condition is it in?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Without looking up what an AT code is; if it is in good condition and a dual side cover transaxle then you should be able to convert it to a swing setup fairly easily cheaper than buying a used SA unit and fix it up. Gearing might be off a bit ring and pinion wise if it is a Super Beetle unit though (taller ring and pinion). It might be something worth looking into before you sell it off. Check the front mount also.

Lee
Marc

Post by Marc »

AT should be a single sidecover with 3.875:1 R&P, .93 4th and the late stronger 1st. Big late TOB cross-shaft and 3-bolt front mount (although a 2-bolt may be fitted),
Supers & Standards have identical gearing, year-for-year.
Reverse is a weak point on these transmissions; if it works well enough that it'll stay in when backing up gently the trans is likely worth the $75 being asked. If not, it's a core and $25 would be fair. I'd pay $125 for one with a strong Reverse (stays in gear even when romping on the throttle) so it's a $50 gamble either way.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Thank you for the clarification Marc, I just wasn't sure if the SB all were that way or not. I thought the question was worth the extra discussion. Over the years I have seen several transaxles litterly been given away only to find that they could have been converted, which ever way was needed, (either SW to IRS or vice-versa) and the guy was out more money than it would have taken to convert. One does not always think in this direction in the heat of battle.

Lee
norville

Post by norville »

74baja1915vw wrote:What kind of condition is it in?
It's in good shape a little dirty, Still has the TO bearing and Starter attached , I just don't think shipping would be worth it.
mrblyoung

Post by mrblyoung »

I agree with Ol'fogasaurus. I had a later IRS tranny converted to swing axle for my type 4 conversion. You don't have to worry about finding a swing axle that has not been clearances for a 12V 200mm flywheel, you get to buy the later (and cheaper) clutch assemblies, you have the nice, later model throwout bearing guide; the bonuses keep going.

I would keep it and have it converted down the road. Hell, it costs more to upgrade to a 3.88 in a tranny rebuild than you are selling this tranny complete.
Marc

Post by Marc »

SSC transmissions, which this AT is nearly certain to be, cannot be converted to swingaxle.