Type V durability and efficiency?

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
wingman

Type V durability and efficiency?

Post by wingman »

Hi,

Can anyone give me some comments about type V durability and efficiency over type IV? Shouldn't it be weaker at heads and P/Cs since it uses type I's parts? I heard type I's dual port head is tend to crack because of the design flaw. And won't relocating the cylinder mounting studs compromise the structure integrities? Also what's the estimate mileage for a mild type V for daily driver (2.l liter, under 150hp)?

Thank,
Michael
marcotheturbosteamengine

Post by marcotheturbosteamengine »

ok,
T1 have bottom end problems(soft case)
T4 have top end problems(design/spacing)

T5 no problems elimanats the problems of the other two
(good bottom end -ally, much better design/spacing of heads!)

all fixed!!!!

Post by Guest »

Michael.
A well built 2,1 > 150 - Still watercooled - will do about the same lifespan as a stock unit. 125-200.000 miles.
Converted to aircooled. you should expect inspections at every 35.000 miles. All depending on how hard you are using it of course.
T.

Post by Guest »

T.

Why would you expect to have to carry out an inspection at such a low mileage on a converted engine? That is less mileage than I would expect from a standard t1 engine......

Chris
Farmer out of town

Post by Farmer out of town »

The Aircooled needs new valveguides significantly sooner than the watercooled counterpart, simply because of the heat difference in the heads.
But of course it has a lot to do with your driving pattern. If you floor it every time you leave the stoplight, you will need inspection sooner in any case.
The WBX heads actually flow quite good, and it is relatively easy to get 150 hp out of a 2,1. You dont even have to rev it that high. I´ve seen 1,9´s that did 150 hp @ 6K. 2,1´s can do 140 hp with the stock F.I. (improoved that is) but still.

I have just ordered a special full merged header for my own 78 hp 1,9. I wanted to see how much I can squeeze out of it with the stock carb. and then after that I will install Scat 1,25 rockers and do a pull again. I think I can find another 7-10 hp in it plus some midrange torque.
We´ll see about that.
T.