you CAN put a T1 crank into a WBX/OXB!!!!

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
marcotheturbosteamengine

you CAN put a T1 crank into a WBX/OXB!!!!

Post by marcotheturbosteamengine »

just figered how to put a T1 aftermarket crank into a wasser case,
crank sizes are now endless!!!!!

you need,
a 2.1 wasser case with a 3 peice flywheel end barring
one set of barrings for a wbx
one set of barrings for a T1 case 1mm linebored and 1mm thurst
a ally ring custom made to down size the flywheel seal to T1 size

you use the T1 1mm line/thurst flywheel barring and the rest of the barrings are WBX and then assemble as you would a T1! :shock:

there you have it! :D
Tom Notch

Post by Tom Notch »

Or you can use a 1.9 case with an all T4 main brg. T1 crank, like I am doing.

btw, Rocky Jennings has the adaptor sleeve for making a t1 main seal fit a 1.9 case so the t1 flywheel works 8) .
Tom

Tom's Old VW Home
DVKK
DSD, dark side disciples
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

What does it take to make a Bugpack flanged crank fit?
marcotheturbosteamengine

you cant get it to fit because you cant get a split flywheel end main barring that is 1mm linebore and 1mm thrust!!! :cry:
sorry :cry:
marcotheturbosteamengine

Or you can use a 1.9 case with an all T4 main brg. T1 crank, like I am doing.

the problem is this combo of crank is not "off the shelf"

now if you were going to build a T5oxyboxer you can also run a T1 crank "off the shelf" any size! and have the flexablity of flywheels and T1 clutchs!!! :D and bolt strait into a T1 gearbox!!!
there are only 2 types of case a
025 xxx xxx
and
025 xxx xxx B
Tom Notch

Post by Tom Notch »

Depends on whose "shelf"
Tom

Tom's Old VW Home
DVKK
DSD, dark side disciples
Badbugtwo

Post by Badbugtwo »

Steve Arndt wrote:What does it take to make a Bugpack flanged crank fit?
Contact Rocky Jennings Enterprises… if you are serious about having it done. :lol:
marcotheturbosteamengine wrote:you cant get it to fit because you cant get a split flywheel end main barring that is 1mm linebore and 1mm thrust!!! :cry:
sorry :cry:
My race engine is built with a 2.1L case and used a Bugpack flanged crank. This crank has Type 1 brgs, except the center main. Rocky makes a precision shim to take up the difference between the conventional Type 1 split thrust brg and the narrow saddle of the case. When I switched to a Scat crank with all Type 4 brgs, Rocky line bored the whole case to std. Type 4 size.
Tom Notch wrote:Depends on whose "shelf"
Exactly!!! 8)
Jeff Rogers
http://www.badbugracing.com
9.35 @ 145
marcotheturbosteamengine

anything is posable :D you guys know that!

just trying to get people to think about going OXYboxer , people like to just "bolt together" "kit" style motors, if there isnt at "kit" avalible then it cant be done! they dont think like us."lets see if we can get this to work"

for me the german case is superior in many ways.
Badbugtwo

Post by Badbugtwo »

marcotheturbosteamengine wrote:...for me the german case is superior in many ways.
I agree. I ran a Scat case for one season while finishing the waterboxer case. I like the waterboxer case alot better! It's especially cool to be able to show someone the factory VW logo on the side of the case, just to prove it is a VW!
8)
Jeff Rogers
http://www.badbugracing.com
9.35 @ 145
pocketrocket

Post by pocketrocket »

Steve Arndt, Hi I am making some split thrust brgs. with bug size to the crank & h2o boxer to the case but with all the other irons in the fire it could be a month or so before I start to split them. Thanks Rocky
pocketrocket

Post by pocketrocket »

Steve the brgs. I'm making are 1.9 h2o boxer to bug crank size. Rocky
PEPPE

s

Post by PEPPE »

use a fiat 500 stock compression ring as a spacer. need to machine a little because it's 1.5mm deep if i remember.
pocketrocket

Post by pocketrocket »

Hi Peppe Could you go into detail on what the spacer is for and how it can help to put a t-1 crank into a 1.9 case. You can use off the shelf line bore bearing with .040 1mm o/s od. with a 1mm .040 o/s thrust to install a t-1 crank in a 2.1. I have a couple of test engines running my new (cnc made) thrust brg. to use a t-1 crank in a 1.9 case. Thanks Rocky
Jeza

Re: you CAN put a T1 crank into a WBX/OXB!!!!

Post by Jeza »

marcotheturbosteamengine wrote:just figered how to put a T1 aftermarket crank into a wasser case,
crank sizes are now endless!!!!!

you need,
a 2.1 wasser case with a 3 peice flywheel end barring
one set of barrings for a wbx
one set of barrings for a T1 case 1mm linebored and 1mm thurst
a ally ring custom made to down size the flywheel seal to T1 size

you use the T1 1mm line/thurst flywheel barring and the rest of the barrings are WBX and then assemble as you would a T1! :shock:

there you have it! :D
I haven't yet built an engine but from what I have read weren't some of the advantages of the oxyboxer the 5 bolt flange for the flywheel and bigger bearings (like the T4 bearings)?

So using a T1 crank means you step back down to the 8 doweled crank and smaller T1 bearings?

Out of interest can you fit a 76mm Wasser crank into a T1 case?

Cheers
Jeremy
pocketrocket

Post by pocketrocket »

Hi Jeza The 5 bolt crank to the waterboxer cast iron flywheel is not as strong as the 8 dowel to steel bug flywheel. I have used a cutout 914 center & welded it to the 200mm steel bug flywheel & had 5 better grade bolts with 8mm dowel pins put in between each bolt for a much stronger set up. As for the 76mm crank into the bug case. You would need to line bore the thrust brg & cut the case for the larger 025 main seal. You could use a 210mm or a 215mm clutch & stock cast iron flywheel, that would be a step down from the 8 dowel crank & steel flywheel IMO. I use most of my engines for drag racing & cast iron flywheels are a no-no. Rocky