Exhaust header options for 2.1 WBX EFI Turbo engine

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
AMBROSIA

Re: Exhaust header options for 2.1 WBX EFI Turbo engine

Post by AMBROSIA »

Filter wise, I replaced the long filter stud with one from a 1.9 engine so I could use a mocal aftermarket sandwich plate.
This allows me to run the stock 1.9 thermostat setup.
I have an external cooler down by the rear torsion tube.
I have also used the polo compact filter prior to getting a custom exhaust made and they work fine.
One thing to note is that not all filters have a one way valve to prevent oil draining back and leaving the bearings dry on startup.
I suspect this is also a factor in hydro lifter bleeding when the engine sits for some time.
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

Dan Dryden wrote:http://vwspeedshop.com/em/enginemanagement.html

Looking at these pictures of the cb header, I could perhaps modify it to raise the turbo higher into the engine compartment.....
Why would you put it in the engine compartment Dan?
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

i put mine in the engine bay cause it proved to solve the issue of not having to run a scavenging pump for oil return. the CB header puts the turbo right where the water pump is at on a WBX motor.
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

DORIGTT wrote:
Dan Dryden wrote:http://vwspeedshop.com/em/enginemanagement.html

Looking at these pictures of the cb header, I could perhaps modify it to raise the turbo higher into the engine compartment.....
Why would you put it in the engine compartment Dan?
I'll consider putting it anywhere at the moment.
My only stipulation is that the turbo sits higher than the case so that I can drain the oil back from the turbo easily without the need for a scavenge pump. I also want to retain my rear seat, but happy to place the turbo in the luggage compartment behind the rear seat and box it in.

I see no reason why I shouldn't place the turbo in the engine compartment either. The WBX isn't as sensitive to engine bay temps as an aircooled motor.
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

westypoo wrote:i put mine in the engine bay cause it proved to solve the issue of not having to run a scavenging pump for oil return. the CB header puts the turbo right where the water pump is at on a WBX motor.
This would hopefully not cause too much of a problem as I plan to use an electric water pump.

That being said, I'm still currently leaning towards a over-tranny setup as this would give a lot more space for other ancilleries in the engine compartment such as header tank, charge cooler, etc. It would also place the turbo nice and high for good oil drainage.