1.9 wbx Turbo upgrade to 2.1 wbx turbo questions

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
bratjie

1.9 wbx Turbo upgrade to 2.1 wbx turbo questions

Post by bratjie »

Hi guy's, here's hoping for some advice please. I have turbo'ed a 1.9 wbx turbo into my bug and she ran pretty well, then a few month's later I upgraded to 2.1 into the 1.9DG casing without any other major mods and found she ran a bit worse than the 1.9 engine. So I started over and got to thinking, previously she was a stock 1.9, single 36 Dellorto, charge cooler, and ran a small Ford Ranger junkyard Turbo. I have now changed to the spec's as below but have a concern about deck height, there isn't any! Can anyone help me make this baby go like a rocket?

First, all rotating components, rods and pistons were dynamically balanced and weighed. Kept the 1.9 rod's and bolts but with 2.1 crank and pistons.
Put a similar cam as tcs20, added 1.25:1 ratio rockers, racing single springs, valve job, heads ported and polished and straight cut cam gears.
Added 2 x 40 Dellorto's and a Hybrid T3 turbo, .48 ar turbine and .50 ar compressor.
Have rising rate fuel press regulator, external oil cooler and charge cooler.
Ignition std electronic (for now) locked at 24 deg,
I have 15cc piston combustion volume per piston and 46cc in the heads for each piston total - 61cc. This with no deck height gives me a CR of 8.9:1 which is way too high for turbo use.
Pic is the previous 1.9,

Need some pointers where to lower CR, pistons or heads or both? Shave off the top of piston or mill out inside?
Don't want to shim as the rocker to valve stems (lashcaps on) geometry have been set and chromoly pushrods already cut to size.
Any info appreciated,
Hope to hear from you soon!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piledriver

Re: 1.9 wbx Turbo upgrade to 2.1 wbx turbo questions

Post by Piledriver »

If built as usual it should have a deck of 1mm, which puts it around 8.6:1 which is perfectly viable on a water cooled motor with excellent combustion chambers, esp with that cam. The std head gaskets work on a WBX, but copper is an option.

Folks have pushed 350+ HP on an otherwise stock 2,1 WBX, so I'd look at your setup harder.
Are you still running the 1.9 heads/intake with tiny ports? That can be fixed.

A dual vac can will provide boost retard (leave the "retard" side disconnected) and allow you to run proper timing at cruise, greatly aiding driveability and likely provide better spool. A programmable ignition provides far more control.

You may want to upgrade the rods to some SCAT Ibeams rebushed to 24mm with ARP2000 bolts.

The rangers were 2.3L over here, so its probably not a turbo sizing issue?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
bratjie

Post by bratjie »

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate, will most certainly look into management and the valve issue,
Much appreciated.
buildabiggerboxer

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

You make No mention of the head shims, deck at zero is normal without the shims, as above, the stock heads and ports can support 300hp plus, but engine management is required to let it live. Regards, BBB.
bratjie

Post by bratjie »

Thx BBB, sorry your'e quite right, never took head gasket into consideration ( too used to 1600 ac's, lol) maybe 1mm off top of pistons and 1mm head gasket should give 8.2:1 cr, or mill pistons for extra 60cc?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You have one of the most det resistant motors that exists.
Why are you trying to destroy the off boost performance again?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.