Oxy in a type3ghia

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
endresta

Oxy in a type3ghia

Post by endresta »

I have a question about the cooling. The fan, is there something I should do with it or just run stock?
1962 Type 343 1974 Type 1 1303
X
1957 Type 111 1964 Type 311 1967 Type 365
Type 1 are nice, Type 2 are cool, BUT Everyone knows, that Type 3..RULE

riseabove

Re: Oxy in a type3ghia

Post by riseabove »

As you have recieved no answers i will try to do my best !

You can run "stock" cooling with some modifications or go full custom if that is your hearts desire.
Stock tinware will fit and work good if done right.

Personally i would stay away from "porche" tins and fans as these usually performs worse than stock parts .

A oxyboxer is basicly a type1 block with raised deck and some other minor differences when the waterjackets are milled away.
tmatre

Post by tmatre »

This is a Type-3 Ghia, and it uses Type-3 cooling.
I think Endre's question is if he can use the stock fan, or if he should use a modified one.
It depends on the engine RPM's I think. You may get more answers if you post this question in the type-3 forum as it is a general question about type-3 cooling.

I and Endre share the same garage :-) And I know his plans :-)
He wants to build a "bulletproof" high torque@low rpm engine, more like the original WBX characteristics.
Hydro lifters/WBX camshaft or one of CB's hydro cams - low engine noise and less maintenance - 1500-6500 rpm?
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

I have been considering this for a day or so, thinking through the possibilities.

I think you would be better off following the normal type3 route and dropping a typeIV engine in.
The cooling transformation requires one additional piece of sheet metal (Piledriver has the flat pattern layout) to connect the T3 cooling air channel to the T4 fan shroud.

Rob
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

For clarification-- The T4 swap is not just a T1 vs. T4 religious issue.
... the primary advantages of the T4 is the ~30% extra cooling capacity of the engine.

I love the idea of an oxy in a T1, but the T3 setup is less than perfect as to reserve capacity of the cooling system.
OTOH, I have overcooling issues with the t4 and must run the thermostat.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.