Parts list for a turbo build

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
westypoo

Re: Parts list for a turbo build

Post by westypoo »

Well I'm trying to post up some pictures of the damage, but it says the pics need to be 800pixels. I've always used photobucket, and they have always worked in the past. Hummmm?
Joe vw

Post by Joe vw »

Any updates? Did you figure out how to resize pics? Teardown?
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

Sorry folks for the long wait. I've been super busy with starting a new job. Well here's the pics of the damageImageImageImageImageImage
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

So the pics tell a farily good story of what happened. So I'm getting a new engine gasket kit for my spare motor and I'm gonna reseal it and get it back up and going on the spare motor while I will build my broken one. So as far as gaskets go, how is gowesty for gaskets for these wbx motors?
syncrogreg

Post by syncrogreg »

I get my gasket sets from gowesty. Good price and they stock the victor reinz kit which is better than the elring kit IMHO.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Buy a factory flywheel seal while you are there.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

Any one have any idea on how I can use a type 1 crank pulley? Since I'm only using one pulley groove, I would like to get just a one groove pulley. And I wanna switch to crank fire and it would be a lot easier to use a type 1 pulley since they already make trigger wheels for type 1 pulleys. I'm also wanting to use the duel o-ring spring loaded pushrod tubes. I've head that the scat ones are decent. Also the ones made by jaycee.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Forum member Paul H. sells single belt groove wasserboxer pulleys with trigger wheels.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

westypoo wrote:Any one have any idea on how I can use a type 1 crank pulley? Since I'm only using one pulley groove, I would like to get just a one groove pulley...
You can't, you have that water stuff that gets in the way, and a type-1 will not even fit with your crankcase seal.
VW made a wasser pulley that is stamped steel and looks like the beetle pulley, and would clear the rest of your junk.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Joe vw

Post by Joe vw »

Your heads look like they were in good shape before the incident. That head can easily be fixed, I would rebuild them, this gives you control of the "Known" quality of the components.
Also, you could upgrade valve sizes at the same time and set them up for increased installed height for better springs.
http://www.sivalves.com/ has 42x36 valves and seats or just use quality name brand seats and valves.
I have modified the stock pulleys by cutting the outer pulleys off with a band saw and machining the rest in a lathe for one pulley groove.
Make sure you get the rotating assembly from pressure plate to pulley balanced.
buildabiggerboxer

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

Another pulley mod I do is to make them up from a type one aftermarket pulley, just make a collar to suit the crank nose and the o/d of the oil return scroll and to the proper length to give the pulley standoff of the Wassers pulley, weld it on and machine off the scroll, they are only about 1mm deep and I've never had oil leaks, you may need a shorter bolt, the T1 bolt is to short, the American spec pulley bolt is too long, another trick we do with the single groove European steel pulley is to drill out the rivets and utilise the Wassers hub to take a bolt on T1 pulley, my full race engines use a T1 pulley, the alternator is repositioned and there is no mechanical water pump, there's always a solution.
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

Well today was my first day off since starting my new job. So I tore the cylinders off my spare motor. Well it didn't turn out well. Thought the motor was in better shape than it turned out to be. Cylinder #3 was really burned. I'll get pics uploaded in the morning.

Only here's my proposed plan to get my car up and running. Pull one good piston out of my spare motor And install it into my motor that recently broke off the valve off. Then hone the cylinders , and install new rings and replace the bad piston with one from my spare motor. The piston ring set off gowesty. Com is only $24 bucks. But i figure why not just buy a new set of piston / cylinders kit and bump it up too 96mm for $222 bucks. Your thoughts?
buildabiggerboxer

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

You may need to keep the liner paired with the replacement piston and it's rings, it's a long shot it will be the same size as the damaged one, check the size marking stamped on it, rings don't wear too much often within specs after huge mirages, quality German chrome, but they are as sharp as a scalpel on the edges.
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

Would you suggest me just buying a new piston/cylinder kit then? If I where to use the old piston, I was planning on a set of new rings for all 4 cylinders.