operating temps for a WBX?

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
westypoo

operating temps for a WBX?

Post by westypoo »

anyone know what the normal operating temps are on a WBX? i just got done with a WBX swapped into my super beetle. runs awsome and really happy with it. my temps have been anywhere from 170-210 is the hottest ive seen thus far. so any info would be great. thanks guys.
syncrogreg

Re: operating temps for a WBX?

Post by syncrogreg »

Did you fit an additional oil cooler?
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

No, no external oil cooler.
syncrogreg

Post by syncrogreg »

Do you live in a hot climate? Is it a daily driver? Even a wbx er in its standard form and fitment can get hotter than 210f. How hot it might get in a bug, stuck in traffic on a high ambient day - who knows. Mounting a suitable cooling system in a bug must be a challange. If you have a radiator and cooling fan as good as the t3 one I would still fit an oil - air cooler. Fitting one to my syncro stabilized the coolant temp as well as the oil temp. Keeping the temp down will stop your oil thinning and degrading. Hope this helps. Greg
AMBROSIA

Post by AMBROSIA »

I've been running a 2.1 wbx in a beetle for several years as a daily.
It's setup with a mocal takeoff plate between the filter and case into a thermostat and then onto a cooler.
The pipes run from the takeoff, under the oil pump, the thermostat is mounted against the oil filler pipe bottom, the pipes run under the gearbox and the cooler is mounted between the torsion tube and frame fork.
Despite a less than ideal position it takes off 15 degrees centigrade, usually operating at 80-85 degrees.
Having a water thermostat that opens at 70 degrees rather than the stock 90 degrees centigrade will also help.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

What model VW has the altered oil/coolant pre-heater?

It really helps to warm up fast in the winter...

Steve
wildthings

Post by wildthings »

AMBROSIA wrote: Having a water thermostat that opens at 70 degrees rather than the stock 90 degrees centigrade will also help.
I wouldn't think that a 70° thermostat would make any difference during the summer months in how hot an engine gets, but it will cause the engine to run cold during the winter and lead to a build up of moisture in the oil.
AMBROSIA

Post by AMBROSIA »

My water temps even in hot summer rarely get above 80 degrees unless stuck in traffic.
The most I have ever seen on the move is 90 at very high speed on the autobarns with high ambient temps.
The car gets used all year round and never had any oil moisture issue to date.
Joov

Post by Joov »

Do you use any thermostat on the oil cooling or is it always running through the oil/air cooler? And do you have an additional fan?
AMBROSIA

Post by AMBROSIA »

Do you use any thermostat on the oil cooling or is it always running through the oil/air cooler? And do you have an additional fan?
Assuming you mean me, I have a thermostat body between the oil cooler and mocal plate. The oil gets up to temperature nice and quick.
There is no fan, just airflow cooled.
I've been toying with the idea of making a scoop to channel more air but unless i'm cruising at 90 mph on a 30 degree day the oil never get's above 90 degrees anyway.