Fitting a replacement DJ from a manual van to an auto

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
mm289

Fitting a replacement DJ from a manual van to an auto

Post by mm289 »

Hi all,

quick question for my fellow WBX fans. :P

The original engine in my 2.1 Auto is beyond repair "for the moment" so I have sourced a decent replacement to swop in for now unitl I get time to build a warmed up fully rebuilt 2.1.

The replacement engine is out of a manual and I just wondered if there is anything I need to watch out for or if it is a straight swap. Obviously need to swap over flex plate and was planning to get the end float on crank as tight as possible, but anything else?

Just doing a top end overhaul on the replacement engine at the moment so good time to make any mods needed :D

1 x head rebuilt - bit of a ways to go yet :roll:

Cheers,

MM
sideshow

Re: Fitting a replacement DJ from a manual van to an auto

Post by sideshow »

Myself I wouldn't shim any used motor tighter than what I find with the old flywheel/flex plate.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
rdgabert

Post by rdgabert »

Hello,

One other thing is the two lower studs on the engines are different. The manual engine studs are longer than the automatic engine studs. Be sure and switch these over before you install the engine.

Regards,
Robert
mm289

Post by mm289 »

Thanks for that Robert, really useful :D

MM
Joe vw

Post by Joe vw »

sideshow wrote:Myself I wouldn't shim any used motor tighter than what I find with the old flywheel/flex plate.
On an aircooled engine this can be deadly (spun main) , but the 2.1 has floating thrust bearings. As long as it's in mid spec it's ok, but I would never set it to the tightest spec either.