2180 opinions

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
bens collision

2180 opinions

Post by bens collision »

im gunna build a motor for my buggy ( actually, going to have it built) and was just planning on something like an 1835 or 1915, then i came across a deal on a new set of 92x 82 jugs & pistons and a crank. its going on a rail and i plan on turbo'ing it. ive never heard anything good or bad about a 2180 and was hoping ya'll could give me your experience & opinions? about the motor not the turbo. thanks!
56speedster

Re: 2180 opinions

Post by 56speedster »

Sounds good to me! Go for it! Hit Shag up for his T-255 cam and it should scream.
The road to success is always under construction
Marc

Post by Marc »

You'd need huge chambers and/or piston dishes to hold the C.R. down to something safe for turbocharging without running excessive deck height. 92mm cylinders are extremely thin and are prone to splitting at the first hint of detonation, and the more deck height you run the worse it gets. If you use these tincans-with-fins they need to be "power-sleeved" (a reinforcing ring shrunk over the top spigot and the head opened up to a larger diameter). There are high-end aftermarket jugs which are stronger, but arguably the most cost-effective solution is the "AA" (Chinese) thickwall 92mm cylinder which uses the same spigot diameters as 94s. These can be purchased separately, and then you can peddle the thinwalls on theSamba for someone to use on a conventionally-aspirated 1835 where they'll have a reasonable life expectancy (the cylinders in "B" stroker sets are identical to "A"s). If you don't like the idea of opening up the case that large (or if you want to run 10mm headstuds) you can instead have the lower skirts of the jugs turned down to the "thinwall" O.D. - the bottom isn't a highly-stressed area so thin cylinder walls there are not a liability.
bens collision

Post by bens collision »

weeeeell, i think i give up on that idea, i just dont want to get that involved in the motor. i found a complete 1835 for $900. i tend to tear up stuff and its best for me to keep things cheap
56speedster

Post by 56speedster »

Sorry for the bad info Ben - I wasn't even thinking of regular 92mm barrels - just the thick wall 92's. I can't see the forest for the trees most of the time anymore. :D
The road to success is always under construction
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

“,,, Nah, I've got a subby or a ford pinto 2.3 I might put in it over the winter, not sure which though…” (http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... t#p1123870)

Instead of a turbo why not go back to this idea! As much as I would like to advise a ACVW this is still might be a viable option.

Lee
bens collision

Post by bens collision »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:“,,, Nah, I've got a subby or a ford pinto 2.3 I might put in it over the winter, not sure which though…” (http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... t#p1123870)

Instead of a turbo why not go back to this idea! As much as I would like to advise a ACVW this is still might be a viable option.

Lee
well, this is a whole nother buggy. this one i was thinking about putting a 2180 in came to me complete less a motor but it did come with a complete draw through turbo set up. so i figured id get a acvw, throw it together and have me a buggy for the summer, quick cheap & easy