can't get engine to fire......help ASAP please

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
purple69

can't get engine to fire......help ASAP please

Post by purple69 »

today i had everything ready to go on my brand new engine. have my static timing set to 7.5 BTDC, got oil pressure, put my rockers and plugs back on, checked my valves......etc

after then connecting the power lead to the coil and trying to actually fire the engine i got nothing. so i cranked for a bit more........nothing. i have checked to see if i'm getting fire at the #1 plug and i am. i have triple checked the plug wires to be in the right order. i think one problem i may have is that i am not getting any juice from my Accel. pump. but even after pouring a bit of gas down the carb it still will not fire. it doesn't even sound like its trying.

i took the #1 plug out and tried to get compression on my compression gauge and i have absolutely zero compression.............which seems very strange. in my honest opinion it seems like the cam is not in sync with the crank..........but i know that is impossible because i and 100% sure that the cam was installed with the dots in the right places and that the dot on the cam gear, the bolt and the notch in the cam for the oil pump are all in line

here are my engine specs:

1914cc
Mahle P/Cs
DPR C/W crank
Engle 120
CBs steel/steel straight cuts
Scat clearanced lifters
chromoly P/R
044s with 40x35.5 slightly ported (inner springs from the duals are removed at the moment)
single 40DRLA with 145 mains, 55 idles and 180 airs, 32mm vents
T3 turbo on a custom header (currently with the wastegate wide open for breakin)
009 Dist with Taylor Spiro 8mm wires
NGK 9somethings
7.3:1 CR
Drake

Re: can't get engine to fire......help ASAP please

Post by Drake »

purple69 wrote:today i had everything ready to go on my brand new engine. have my static timing set to 7.5 BTDC, got oil pressure, put my rockers and plugs back on, checked my valves......etc

after then connecting the power lead to the coil and trying to actually fire the engine i got nothing. so i cranked for a bit more........nothing. i have checked to see if i'm getting fire at the #1 plug and i am. i have triple checked the plug wires to be in the right order. i think one problem i may have is that i am not getting any juice from my Accel. pump. but even after pouring a bit of gas down the carb it still will not fire. it doesn't even sound like its trying.

i took the #1 plug out and tried to get compression on my compression gauge and i have absolutely zero compression.............which seems very strange.
in my honest opinion it seems like the cam is not in sync with the crank..........but i know that is impossible
nothing is impossible
because i and 100% sure that the cam was installed with the dots in the right places and that the dot on the cam gear, the bolt and the notch in the cam for the oil pump are all in line
Well you can check spark on all 4 wires...just connect a timing light to them one at a time, crank and look for the flash.

Compression would be the place to start though it sounds like. You could remove the rocker assemblies, and check for compression...if you get compression that way. Then put the rockers back on and make sure the valves are adjusted properly...set the valves loose for break-in.

Are you certain that everything is lined up? The dizzy is on #1 TDC, and #1 intake, and exhaust are closed, along with #2 intake?

Got fuel? pull the hose from the carb, and run the pump...where is the pump located? electric pumps can take a long time to prime if they arent located under the tank....they dont suck very well...but they blow great :D
purple69

Post by purple69 »

i have checked everything possible

i'm gonna pull the engine and check everything out just to be abosultely sure. i'd rather be safe than sorry.

its probably a mixed blessing.........who knows what i'll find.
vw60bug

Post by vw60bug »

You can try to pull the valve cover spin the motor by hand until #1 cyl. is top dead center. then make sure your dist. is aligned for TDC (small line on dizzy where cap sits). If it isnt then make sure the dist is put in correctly and seated all the way down. The reason i say this is because I had a friend that couldnt get his motor to fire so i went and looked at it, he had the dist 180 out it would turn but wasnt seated all the way and the motor wouldnt fire. The only thing that gets me is no compression. You should be able to crank the motor over about 4 or 5 times and have a compression reading. Hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

sounds to me that the valves were adjusted out of sync with the crank. read the book and readjust, then check timing again.