Starter not getting power?

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Dizzy

Starter not getting power?

Post by Dizzy »

When I turn the key, the starter doesn't turn or even click! The dash lights are getting power. Does this mean the wiring to the starter is screwed up? I checked the wiring to/from the alternator....all looks to be in good condition. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Pete65

Post by Pete65 »

was it working before and this is a recent problem on a previously running car, or is this something that you put together and tried and it doesn't work....

could be a number of things, bad ignition switch comes to mind, loose connectors, missing wires, bad ground from trans, bad starter??? some background info might be helpful.

you can try out your starter by getting under the car with a screw driver and jumping the large terminal (one with line from positive battery terminal) to one of the push on connectors. If the starter spins up and sounds good then it has something to do with the switching / wiring.
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

thanks for the info. it was starting just fine a couple weeks ago, now, nothing. i'm pretty sure it's the wiring. the PO had mentioned something about the wiring to the starter needing to be replaced (i think). will have to crawl under there and take a look. thanks again.
texasbugman

Post by texasbugman »

This problem seems to be a common one for owners of old VW's. I used to have the very same problem with a '77 I used to own. The problem is your wiring has gotten old and built up so much resistance that there is not sufficient enough power getting to your starter. The solution is to rig up a bypass relay to your starter. If you have the John Muir "Idiot book", it shows how to wire one up in there. There was a thread about this a few weeks ago here http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=50835
There is also a man that posts here on these forums by the name of Glenn that has instructions on his website about how to wire up one of these relays. You can find that here http://www.glenn-ring.com/tech/relay_starter.htm Hope that helps.
RT

Post by RT »

I recall an article from Bob H. who says the starter needs about 10 amps to reliably work the main solenoid. Best thing is to install a standard switching relay (or "headlight" relay) - no need for the big clunky Ford solenoid. The draw on your ignition circuit would be very small and your starter would get ample current to do the job. ANY automotive outlet sells them.
paka

could be

Post by paka »

my car had the same problem . turned out to be the switch on my automatic tranny on shifter . Car had to be in nuetral but the switch was worn out so i just ran a wire and bypassed switch . Just cant start it in R , 1st or off i go .