oil cooler mounting

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Doghouse

oil cooler mounting

Post by Doghouse »

Any suggestions out there about mounting and tightening the doghouse syle cooler & adapter i.e., keep the rubber grommets dry? light coat of grease? And, what about the nut torque?
I really don't want any more leaks from this area. (ps long block installation).
Thanks
sparkmaster1

Post by sparkmaster1 »

You should install them dry or with a touch of oil to keep them in place. Torque on the 6mm? I just tighten them down to about that much. That's one of those that after doing it for 26+ years you just do it by feel. I'm sure someone can give you the correct torque spec. Tim
Owner Tim's ACVW Engine/Trans Service
Marc

Post by Marc »

sparkmaster1 wrote:...Torque on the 6mm? I just tighten them down to about that much....
I think almost everyone does. Most torque wrenches won't go low enough (you'd need 5-7lb-ft). I've got an inch-pound t'wrench I haven't taken out of the package yet - if I did, I'd use 55-60lb-in for a spec on m6x1.0 fasteners....
gordon s

oil cooler

Post by gordon s »

Are their any spacers or washers between the cooler and adaptor
to keep from smashing the seal

Post by Guest »

A ton of spacers came out from everywhere!
I was told only one flat washer is to be under the (wavy) lock washer under each mounting nut.
The new/old longblock case is a type 3 and has 6mm stud size cooler mounting. I now have to drill the case ears to 8mm and tap the case for an 8mm stud to mount the cooler stand! What frustration. What a hobby!