Help No power on hills

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
smitty

Help No power on hills

Post by smitty »

I have a 1700 type-4 in my rail I just finished.It is stock besides the famous 009 and progresive carb (low budget).It was realy hard to start and alot of poping back thru the carb on aceleration,the timeing is set at 10 btdc at idel and max is 32 .After you got it up to speed it ran great.So we took another carb of a friends buggy to try it and it did fine,so thinking it was lean we started drilling jets littel by littel till it seemed to run right.Now it starts with a bump of the key ,and most of the time runs fine (on flat land).The float level is set the same as the one on my friends.To get up steep hills I have to keep it floored with the tires spining to make it up, and if it ever gets traction it just instently runs out of power.If it stops and try to take off it might go about 10-30 yards and just boggs down (and thats after taching it up and droping the clutch)?There is no smoke comeing out the exaust ,the compression is about 125-130 all around.So could it still be to lean ,something in the ignition,float level(even though the other carb seemed fine)?Soory this was so long but not to good at trying to explain whats going on.Thanks for any help Smitty
69NoH20

Post by 69NoH20 »

how sttep s the hill?

is your carb flooding?

if it is at higher RPM it will run fne but will bog when it is way to rich and cannnot run.

Post by Guest »

I dont think its flooding the plugs look fine after it does this?and it never smokes out the exaust.Whats the best way to tell ? And it will start right up after it dies with no problems.We set the float like my friends carb that it ran fine on ,on level ground the gas is about 1/4 of an inch above the main jets in the bottom of the bowl after you let it idel then remove the top off the carb.
Thanks Smitty

Post by Guest »

Oh yea these hills are about 70-80 degrees.We are going to check his jet sizes today to see how close mine are to his.
Its me 69noh20

Post by Its me 69noh20 »

hills that steep will flood carbs, no doubt
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

80 degrees? That's not a hill, it's a wall.

Post by Guest »

Yea some do look like a wall,and the first time hiting them will put you on edge.But all the other buggys will climb them with no problem.Mine will if I hit it wide open and never let the rpms down .We checked my friends carb today all the jets are about the same.His float was shaped diffrent than mine so I think I made a mistake seting it LOL.I mesured his bowl full and then mine when I got home ,yes I have a littel more fuel in mine than he does.Ok I want lie alot more fuel :lol: .I still dont understand why it would start so easy and never put out any smoke?Just hope it fixed it.
69NoH20

Post by 69NoH20 »

I used to have this happen to me in my blazer. THe key was steady throttle presure. Whenever it would flood i would put the pedal to the metal and crank. It would start right up.

The thing is that you end up with alot of gas and when you open the carb up all the way you let air an equal amount of air in. So its all good.

Are you bouncing around on these hills? That can cause the carb to flood too.

Post by Guest »

Bouncing,yea thank goodness for 5-point belts.First time out destroyed reverse in the tranny after one of these hills desided to throw me in to some trees like a wedge.Second time out destroyed all forward gears on the same hill after geting airborn and not being abel to get off the gas in time.Just hope I get this thing to run with out being wide open on the gas.
This motor seems real strong and good torque on flat land but the hills just killed it.So maybe the float level will help?