Break in period.

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
ALTLCRZY

Break in period.

Post by ALTLCRZY »

I recently put a 1776 in my 68 bug. After about 1000 miles I stripped the cam gear. So I took the motor apart and replaced the gear with proper one. Since I already put a 1000 miles on the motor do I need to do the 500 mile break in period.
ANDY
Marc

Post by Marc »

Were you able to figure out what caused the cam gear to fail? That's really uncommon unless the oil pump locks up.
If you pulled the pistons & cylinders together you haven't disrupted anything that is of major concern during breakin except the valvetrain. If you took the cylinders off the pistons the rings may need to find "home" again so I'd go a little easy on it for a hundred miles or so; check the valve lash within ~300 miles too.

Post by Guest »

The problem turned out to be the machine shop. I had the machine shop who bored my block also assemble the short block (due to my lack of a torque wrench that goes to 253). When they assembled it they must not have checked the gear back lash. So instead of using a -1 like they should have they put in a -4. The result was way to much play in the gears. They gave me a new gear however, I am not ever going back there to get any work done.
Thanks for the response.