Stubborn Flywheel

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
mharney

Stubborn Flywheel

Post by mharney »

Flywheel reduction tool is the best way. You don't need a huge ass torque wrench to tighten it back either.. and NO stress to the case.

------------------
My VW Page
vicsvw

Stubborn Flywheel

Post by vicsvw »

Your going to replace it any way so if you don't have access to an air impact wrench you can use a chisel to unscrew it. Vic >> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/crankshaft.htm
speedy57tub

Stubborn Flywheel

Post by speedy57tub »

When I have this problem, I try to different things. Try heating the gland nut and/or using a "buddy-bar" and pipe for leverage. The "buddy-bar" and a chubby friend or two(maybe a six-pack) works great. have one friend stand on the long block, one hold the "buddy-bar", and you, via a pipe, heavy-duty ratchet and socket, loosen the gland nut. Apply heat if needed but I think you'll be fine. Last step, is pull on the tab and drink up! BTW, the "buddy bars" can be also used to remove axle nuts too!

------------------
Thanks, speedy57tub
(Speedying around and about "Viva Las Vegas")
71Vdubber

Stubborn Flywheel

Post by 71Vdubber »

Ok, here's I went through to remove my gland nut:

420 ft/lb air impact gun - not a twitch.

Chisel and mallet - chopped clean through one section of the nut, still not a twitch.

18" long 1/2" thick breaker bar and 4' cheater, engine braced to floor with angle iron - Bent the angle iron, eventually broke the breaker bar and rolled the engine around on the floor!

4' cheater with a 36mm socket welded to the end, engine braced to floor with angle iron, 175lb friend standing on the engine - success!

Those things can be put on TIGHT! It was 'only' a standard gland nut too, I hate to think what the racing ones are like! Image

[This message has been edited by 71Vdubber (edited 11-19-2002).]
rich2481

Stubborn Flywheel

Post by rich2481 »

A little heat dont hurt but a buddy with a good air gun is better, I do not like the flywheel lock for torqueing and untorqueing as there is a chance to crack/break your case
Drake

Stubborn Flywheel

Post by Drake »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vw_dave:
<B>
I've never heard of a flywheel reduction tool. What is it? Where could I get one?
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A.K.A the Torque Miester. Look in a Kymco ad in a VW magazine
Marc

Stubborn Flywheel

Post by Marc »