HP question

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
slowsixtyduece

HP question

Post by slowsixtyduece »

The 1776 should produce more power, if done right. Make sure to spend some money on good ported heads, if you want more power. Maybe say this setup: 12# flywheel, 40x35 valves w/ port and polish,69 counterweighted crank, stock rods, engle 110 cam, 1.25 lifters, dual weber 40's or kads, deep sump, full flowed, and a good header. Should make around 80-100 hp, if done right (balanced too). will most likely be faster than youre other motor. Have fun!!
slowsixtyduece

HP question

Post by slowsixtyduece »

1.25 lifters- what am i talking about? i meant 1.25 rockers. I just cant think today...
vicsvw

HP question

Post by vicsvw »

Check out the Post in the OFF Road section on Heads.
Light Flywheel gives no increase in HP.
Big Valves and Ported heads have screwed up a many motor. Counter weighted crank will let you turn more rpm safely ( Try running 6500 rpm back and forth to work some time.)Forget the hi-lift rockers and get the came with the lift you want.
We all know that Big Cams, Big Ports and Big Deep sumps and Big expensive things make Big usable Horse Power.
And the polished crank should look quite nice.
You might think about putting some of that extra money in larger P&C and think about Torque that you can use. But then it's just my opinion and your money. Have a nice day. Vic http://www.1800vw.com
James2

HP question

Post by James2 »

Your old motor probably made about 75-80 hp at most. Maybe more if you ran higher CR, as a lot of people did back when. With 9.5 Cr, the same motor could make close to 90 hp.

The 1776 with stock heads and 8-1 cr will struggle to make 85-90 hp.

If you follow the advice above, and buy some decent heads, motor should make close 100hp.

If it not used on highway a lot, I would opt for the larger 94mm P/C and pick up about 8 hp for free.