1641 Clacking on startup then silence...

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Piledriver

Re: 1641 Clacking on startup then silence...

Post by Piledriver »

K&N is same quality as Mobil1, and comes off the same line.

empi makes a exhaust flange oil filter mount mount, possibly a solution #16-8240.
The only issue of concern then is how your actual filter mount attaches, screwing the filter on from below is better (less messy) than screwing on horizontally.

Hydraulic line shouldn't expand much... Ever. what I use for remotes (including the fittings)
Cheaper and stronger than the blingy stuff.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
jamesbissland

Post by jamesbissland »

Awesome.. thanks for the info

Out of interest, what is your opinion on the combination oil pumps with spin on filters ?

Most of them have a 30mm oil pump, but I see the CB version has a 26mm pump..
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Out of interest, what is your opinion on the combination oil pumps with spin on filters ?
...many twisty little passages, all alike...

You have a properly done full flow rig.
Add an oil thermostat and you are done.

For extra style points do it like a DTM...

You still have the stock air thermostat setup installed, right?
Having it in place and functional can make a big difference in longevity, as well as some benefit in cooling.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
jamesbissland

Post by jamesbissland »

Hi guys

So a little bit of an update of where I'm at..

I have put up with this noise and not really thought too much about it; however, its just heading into winter down here in NZ, so thought Id whip the engine out over the winter to replace the flywheel seal that has been leaking, complete the dog house cooler change, and look into a couple other oil leaks that have been a nuisance.

I start to strip things apart yesterday afternoon, and flip me sideways, I notice #1 spark plug is loose.. very loose.. I could tighten it 90degs with thumb and first finger before it locked up again.. Could this be it??

Part of me thinks Great! that'll be the noise! however the other part of me knows where there is smoke there is fire, and that is most probably the result of something a lot worse...

Anyway, will try get the engine out later this arvo or next weekend, stripped down, compression tested and see what i have to play with !!