Fuel pump rod tip

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
las

Fuel pump rod tip

Post by las »

I'm in the process of turbo'ing my engine and have the fuel pump out, the pump rod in the engine have a sharp ball like tip and the other old one I have laying around have more of a cone and a flat tip.
The flat tip version are a few mm shorter.

I would think the flat tip would be better as it has a bigger surface and therefore distribute the load on a bigger surface!

What would you people think, or what do you know :-)
proljoy

Re: Fuel pump rod tip

Post by proljoy »

I believe there are two to three diferent push rod lenghs and fuel pumps to match. If you mix them up it will affect the fuel pressure.
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Old school fuel pumps for "generator" engines used a 106mm length pushrod, newer engine with "alternators" use a shorter fuel pump and 100mm pushrod... New short rod fuel pumps also has actuation arm that comes down below the bolting flange...

(Image from J bugs site)

Cant mix and match with out problems...

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
las

Post by las »

Well I'm at it again and have been giving it some thought, maybe others could find my thoughts useful.

The surface on the drive is sloped so I opted to go for the pointier version as I thought the flatter version would still only have a small surface contact due to the slope of the drive. Problem solved until new evidence appears :-)

The reason for giving this so much thought is my plan to make a dual mechanical fuel pump setup for my turbo build.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.