6mm Allen Head Sump Nuts??

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
sidemarkers

6mm Allen Head Sump Nuts??

Post by sidemarkers »

Bolting on my 1 1/2 deep sump and can't fit the nut on the stud that supports the pick-up tube.

Who makes an allen headed nut for a 6mm sump stud?
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: 6mm Allen Head Sump Nuts??

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

https://www.bing.com/search?q=6mm+allen ... 48b53e795b

For example. Just be careful as the Allen head bolt does have a smaller contact surface area as compared to a Hex head bolt. I seem to remember that there are different sized heads for SAE fasteners but I am not that familiar to what is available in Metric sizes.

The URL I gave you is a general search list of sites available. I search 6mm "Allenhead" bolts; there should be a space but I got a blank search when I did the search that way. You might get a better search if you try the space in the word Allen Head than I did.
Marc

Post by Marc »

If the problem is the stud being too short, I don't see how a different nut will help. Are you doing this in the car or do you have the engine on the bench/stand?

As a rule deep sumps require that all six studs be replaced with longer ones; the one that doubles as the pickup holddown has a washer and shakeproof nut above the tab on the pickup which is a bear to manipulate on an assembled engine, but it can be done with a modified 10mm box-end wrench.

Gene Berg made sumps with larger holes and special "longer nuts" that have an extended portion which reaches through to engage stock-length studs...makes installation much simpler but personally I prefer the classic "longer-stud" solution.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=148583&p=1233615
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

My bad, I just read the first post and either missed the word "nut" or assumed he meant a bolt. :oops:

As far as I know there is no Allen head nut or any of the center located styles (such as Phillips, cross, 6-point/double triangle, etc.) in the head of the nut styles of fasteners; e.g., the hole for the bolt/stud would occupy the same area as the internal relief that the Allen nut driver would occupy.

The Gene Berg style of fastener sounds like some of the off-set spacer/centering style of nuts or centering styles of shims that I have seen in the standards books. I agree with Marc that replacing the stud with a longer one unless the object being clamped has the larger style of hole or counter bored stock hole based on the original fastener length.
Marc

Post by Marc »

GB210NUT: Image
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Yes, I have seen that nut design before but it is something we weren't allowed to use. They (the company and the FAA) are very particular on meeting hhig/tight standards. :roll:

If the mount has a hole for a larger this is one very good way of solving the problem.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

Thanks for the input guys! Since I just needed a single allen nut for the sump stud, I just made my own. If I could I'd post a pic, but it would likely take me longer to learn than installing the nut in my car!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Still not understanding just what it is you needed to replace; like Lee, I've never seen or even heard of an "allen nut". Did you take out the stud and replace it with a capscrew (Allen-head BOLT)? If so, what's holding the oil pump pickup down?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=127818
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

Thanks for the photo info. I got it all together, the nut I made worked very well for the difficult sump stud. I'm not sure if an allen nut is even a thing, but that's what I needed to get the last fastener on the sump. The rest of the fasteners are standard allen bolts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.