Pulling Degree Pulley?

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Ark1

Pulling Degree Pulley?

Post by Ark1 »

What method do you guys use to pull degree pulleys inside the car? Can find a puller that fits. Santana style Scat pulley. Just put it on and its interfering with the tin/oil pump stud; so I can't just bend the sheetmetal out of the way.

Ideas?
Marc

Re: Pulling Degree Pulley?

Post by Marc »

I've never encountered an aluminum pulley which fit so snugly that it couldn't just be wriggled off...you may need to pry it gently away from the case on one side while tugging on the other until it starts to come free.
I suppose a heat gun would help if it won't budge cold...
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

IF it is on and interfering with the sheet metal seems you'll have to remove said sheet metal to pull it as Marc said.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Hmmm... I wonder, Al and steel are dissimilar materials assuming it isn't just the access through the tin that the oroblem.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Normally aluminum ones are super easy to remove as they crack at the key way, you could wait for that to happen.

Now if you are in a hurry, why not the common (stock ones will not work as they are two-jaw-ish) aftermarket puller?
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... C-C10-7013
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Actually I've rarely encountered problems with cracking on the "5-hole" aluminum pulleys, regardless of manufacturer...in my experience it's been the 4-slot ones that self-destruct, I theorize that it's a harmonic vibration thang.
Ark1

Post by Ark1 »

It's a new scat pulley. They say in the directions to pull it form the center somehow, and not where the belt goes. If i had ran the oil pump studs in another 2.5 turns when i put the engine together it would'n't be an issue lol.