Hypothetical vw aero engine build

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...

Moderator: sparkmaster1

flyguyeddy

Hypothetical vw aero engine build

Post by flyguyeddy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:35 am

Ok heres my idea

2.1l engine

Oxyboxer 2.1 lower end
Mahle pistons/cylinders
Single port heads
Aircraft hub on flywheel side

Would the singles flow enough to make power all the way to around 3500 rpm?

flyguyeddy

Re: Hypothetical vw aero engine build

Post by flyguyeddy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:40 am

I realize this is pretty vague, im just trying to see if the heads i already have will work for it.

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:04 am

While working in aircraft design under FAA rules I did work for/with some engineers that were doing home builds under EAA rules at the same time but this was quite a few years ago. As I remember, there is a lot of upgrades that are required under EAA for mods to an engine the needs to be researched as I don't remember them being necessarily straight forward conversions. Safety was the main reason for them. I did a quick search and couldn't quickly find the rules but they are out there as I have looked them up before.

Depending on how you word the search you are going to get different answers as I tried several wordings and got some of the same and some different URLs. For a start maybe this 26 minute video will help get you started (I didn't watch the whole thing): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCNnEgRkdXc I did find the mention of Type IV engines if that is worth anything. There are quite a few URLs for auto engine conversions.

Lee

flyguyeddy

Post by flyguyeddy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:56 pm

He seems to spend an in redibly long time talking about his radiator, a topic of which i do not care. I also did not watch it all the way through

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:30 pm

Sorry, I was hoping there would be more. I seem to remember the are requirements for redundant ignition systems and other things. I think I ran into an aero ACVW engine forum but didn't dig into it too far as it was more of a question and answer forum.

I found a video on building a 914/type 4 ACVW for aircraft but can't figure how to paste the URL here. There are several videos involved.

The search I used was: ACVW aircraft conversion

Lee

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:58 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibHyMi_Idsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibHyMi_ ... e_KY2t09wH

This is 11 videos so it may be all of it. The first one is just part two.

RHough

Post by RHough » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:55 pm

Single port heads and about 70-80 HP for a reliable aircraft conversion (if Bob Hoover did his homework right). Limiting factor is cylinder head fin area IIRC.