Have I Broken It?

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Marvel

Re: Have I Broken It?

Post by Marvel »

Turns out one of the springs is missing off the advance mechanism. Not sure where it went as it wasn't inside. In the meantime I've gone for a Megajolt set-up and ditched the distributor.

I assume the noise was detonation as it was advancing too quick.

Anyone got a Map for a 1776, W100 cam, standard heads, 40DRLA's in a lightweight car?
Marc

Post by Marc »

Marvel wrote:I've tried it with 009 and SVDA distributors and they all over advance now. Before the rotor arm sheared it would time up as normal. Not sure if the sheared rotor arm and noise are linked but I suspect they are.
When I wiggle the distributor drive shaft there is more back lash on the noisy engine than on my spare one which makes me think the brass gear is damaged.
If I can get the distributor drive shaft out am I likely to be able to see any damage to the brass gear?
OK, I'm confused. If the same problem exists with different distributors, how do you conclude that a "missing" spring in one is the issue?
The 0 231 178 009 distributor has a place for a second spring, but none is fitted from the factory.
As I stated earlier, a 40° curve is a rarity - 009s typically have around 22°.
Marvel

Post by Marvel »

Didn't know that. I saw the space for a spring and assumed it was missing. Mystery solved if it wasn't there in the first place.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Don't let that stop you from switching to a fully programmable ignition if it is in the budget.

The MJ+EDIS setup does away with ~everything that can go wrong with a stock T1 ignition, and they are relatively bulletproof OEM automotive grade hardware for all the critical bits.

...but I still have serious doubts about your timing light.

Most auto parts stores will loan you a good one, for free even if they help you with the test in the parking lot.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

^^^ times a million, i went MS for ignition and its worlds away from a dizzy in my experience
Marvel

Post by Marvel »

Megajolt now installed and the timing is rock steady exactly where I set it and advances as it should. And the noise has gone. I couldn't see any damage on the driven gear so maybe it was the drive gear but I don't care now. Looks like this.