Balancing rods/pins/pistons - 3 new 1 old :(

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
mm289

Balancing rods/pins/pistons - 3 new 1 old :(

Post by mm289 »

As per my post above on the case, I am about to re-assemble this 1600TP engine. Its just a temporary build to get me through the summer so not trying to spend many $'s.

Engine came to me having had a broken piston in its past, so have split case, thoroughly cleaned, polished crank and about to assemble with new mains, rod and cam bearings.

Engine came with 3 of the original (new) pistons, not sure what they are (pics below if anyone recognises them :)) and one old Mahle.

ImageImage

The Mahle one also has the rod and pin that came with it not the same rod and pin as the other three :roll:

As it was fitted to the engine (which also had a turbo on it at the time - since removed :shock: ) the Mahle assembly (no.4) is 26g heavier than the lightest and 17g heavier than the heaviest of the other assemblies.

By moving pins, rods and pistons about I can get a total variance of 8g and if I did a bit of machining on the piston/rod of the heaviest assembly I could get that down to 4g. (the biggest weight discrepancy is the pin, the Mahle set is 12g heavier than the others).

So question is - is it ok to mix 'n match rods and pistons and pins like this to get close to balanced - doesn't need to be a racer so happy with 4-5g but 26g sounds a bit excessive! :?

Cheers,

MM
Phil69

Re: Balancing rods/pins/pistons - 3 new 1 old :(

Post by Phil69 »

5 grams is VW's spec.
I would check your deck hight's and do a compression test before running the motor but I can't see why there would be a big problem.
mm289

Post by mm289 »

Yeh, that's what I figured thanks :)

If I could find out what make the pistons are I might be able to track down a matching one but I don't recognise the markings at all :(

Cheers,

MM
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

mm289 wrote:If I could find out what make the pistons are I might be able to track down a matching one but I don't recognise the markings at all :(
Have you considered posting pictures of the top and side skirt?
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Nothing at all wrong with juggling wrist pins (provided their dimensions are the same, of course). I keep a couple of coffee cans full of them just for this purpose. Although 8g is within allowable limits for a stocker, it would be nice if you could get them just a little closer, say within 5g. Failing that, put the closest-matched pairs across from each other (1&3, 2&4). If the oddball piston is less worn (judging by the top ring groove wear and overall appearance) have it end up on #3...if it's the worst of the lot, as seems likely here, put it on #2.
For a low-budget project like this I wouldn't have any qualms about narrowing and/or shortening the piston skirts a little on the heaviest piston(s), either - most "high-performance" pistons come with shorter skirts than those on the cast stockers, so it's not hard to rationalize some judicious whittlin'.
mm289

Post by mm289 »

Thanks guys, will put it back together now,

Will get some pics of sides and crown on tonight.

Cheers,

MM
mm289

Post by mm289 »

Couple more pics of the pistons I'm trying to ID

ImageImage

Cheers,

MM