Is anyone familiar with this VW cam for hydraulic lifters??

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
VDub67

Is anyone familiar with this VW cam for hydraulic lifters??

Post by VDub67 »

I recently sent my new VW case to Bernie Bergmann in CA to have it machined for hydraulic lifters. He did the work and returned it with all necessary hardware, including what he considered to be an "ideal" cam. The engine is to be set up as a 2180cc w/ dual-port heads (40mm intake valves; 35.5mm exhaust valves) & dual carbs. As to the cam, we discussed a middle-range street cam.

Anyway, the aluminum gear that was shipped is to be bolted (3 8mm bolts?) to the cam flange. The flange on the new cam is stamped '147'. On the hand-written invoice, it appears to indicate '147H'.

Is anyone familiar w/ this cam as I have descried it? Does anyone know what might be the specs for this cam (i.e., lift, dwell, etc.)? If I could identify the manufacturer, I'm sure I could find out the specs for it.
Phil69

Re: Is anyone familiar with this VW cam for hydraulic lifter

Post by Phil69 »

What code engine is the case?
Any questions about the cam should be directed at your supplier.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Bernie Bergman moved his business to Oklahoma many years ago.

Some fellow in California bought right to the name and IIRC called his company "Bergman Racing" after Bernie was shut down.
(Google is your friend)

No idea on the cam, I hope the vendor can help you.

Tip:
Webcam camshafts are nitrided.
Google nitrided camshaft and see why that's worth the extra $$.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Slow 1200

Post by Slow 1200 »

I think Weber camshafts made a 147H, no idea on specs

EDIT: According to this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... 27&start=0 it has 294 duration 335 lift 247@ .50
Marc

Post by Marc »

Schneider has a hydraulic cam for Big Block Chevys they call "147H" but for a VW that does sound like a Weber (NOT Web) number. I don't think they've been around for years, so perhaps someone is having clones ground. I've never seen any published specs so can't attest to the validity of the numbers given in that theSamba thread.
Why aren't you asking the person who sold it to you for a cam card?
I've never encountered a cam blank that was machined for m8 bolts. Odds are that it's 5/16-NF; Grade 8 isn't really necessary, but don't use any under Grade 5. Tighten all three evenly to 14+ lb-ft, then take them out one at a time and apply a drop of Loctite (Medium Strength is sufficient) before taking up to 18-20 lb-ft. IMO Berg's recommendation of 24-26 is too high and may lead to stripping the threads in the cam. Before breaking out the Loctite, insert the oil pump body into the case half and check that the cam bolt heads clear it - if the gear's not spotfaced enough you may need to grind the boltheads down some. Typically "star" washers are used; I prefer the internal variety.

The cam gear can be bolted up in any of three orientations, but only one will work - the timing mark "O", oil pump drive slot, and one bolt will all be in line when it's correct.
VDub67

Post by VDub67 »

Thanks for all replies/comments.

To make a VERY long story short, I did - at long last - manage to get the cam specs (which weren't provided w/ the shipment) from Bergmann. Only fwiw, I learned that the cam was ground by SCAT Enterprises in CA. The link provided by SLOW1200 did NOT describe my (147H) cam. The specs I was provided were:

@0.050"
IO 17°BT
C 53°AB
EO 53°BB
C 17°AT
Lobe Center: 108°
Duration @0.050": 251°
Running Duration: 282°
Lift at Cam: 0.340"

Per Marc's comment, I just checked and noted that the cam bolt threads are indeed non-metric; they are 5/16-24 (as Marc suspected).
Wilbur

Re: Is anyone familiar with this VW cam for hydraulic lifters??

Post by Wilbur »

so how does it run?
VDub67

Post by VDub67 »

I have not yet installed it Wilbur. I got way sidetracked on this engine. I hope I live long enough to put it together ... (smile)
Rog_Allen

Post by Rog_Allen »

Get it together yet ? Like to hear your update 👍
VDub67

Post by VDub67 »

Sorry to day ... No, I still have not assembled it. In April, I completed a move to my home state of NM. I'm still getting my shop organized and tidy enough to build the engine. Again, I hope I live long enough ...
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Note: Weber camshafts renamed themselves Webcam at some point....
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.