I joined the bad lifter club!

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...

Moderator: sparkmaster1

tencentlife
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:13 am
Location: Vanistan, Abiquiu, NM, USA
Contact:

Re: I joined the bad lifter club!

Post by tencentlife » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:41 pm

Yup, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop too. Which side?

User avatar
HID GUY
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:31 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: I joined the bad lifter club!

Post by HID GUY » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:38 pm

3/4 side only. I dont' get it?

Phil69
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:24 am

Re: I joined the bad lifter club!

Post by Phil69 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:35 am

Could be casting sand in the cam blank. I've seen it on a couple of engines fitted with standard lifters and Scat cams.

User avatar
Marc
Moderator
Posts: 23738
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 2:01 am
Contact:

Re: I joined the bad lifter club!

Post by Marc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:50 am

Phil69 wrote:Could be casting sand in the cam blank. I've seen it on a couple of engines fitted with standard lifters and Scat cams.
In the ACVW, the same four lobes operate the valves on both sides of the engine. Any defect in the cam would manifest as near-identical damage on each opposed pair of lifters - here we have lifter problems only on one side of the engine, and on all four - since it seems unlike that half of them were bad and concidentally all managed to end up on the same side, it's more likely that the cause is somehow related to the head or case on that side.

User avatar
Clatter
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 3:01 am
Location: Santa Cruz

Re: I joined the bad lifter club!

Post by Clatter » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:29 am

Did you measure everything on both sides when building it?

Sometimes, only one side will be used to determine pushrod length/geometry, etc.

So many times i have ended up with four pushrods for the 1-2 side and four more for 3-4....
"Oh, You don't need to do all that... The valve seats are just going to fall out of it anyway!"
- Doug Ellsworth

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853

Phil69
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:24 am

Re: I joined the bad lifter club!

Post by Phil69 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:13 pm

Marc wrote:
Phil69 wrote:Could be casting sand in the cam blank. I've seen it on a couple of engines fitted with standard lifters and Scat cams.
In the ACVW, the same four lobes operate the valves on both sides of the engine. Any defect in the cam would manifest as near-identical damage on each opposed pair of lifters - here we have lifter problems only on one side of the engine, and on all four - since it seems unlike that half of them were bad and concidentally all managed to end up on the same side, it's more likely that the cause is somehow related to the head or case on that side.

I wasn't aware that it was only one side of the engine that had suffered lifter damage.
The examples I viewed the lifters where all OG lifters so the lifter quality was not in question.
The camshafts however showed distinct offsets in there castings and even on the cam lobes.

buildabiggerboxer
Posts: 614
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: I joined the bad lifter club!

Post by buildabiggerboxer » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:39 am

I've seen that sort of damage happen when too slack on the valve clearances, some builders will specify over large gaps for the first 500, say 010" ex & in, if it gets forgotten to be re adjusted at the 500, it kills Brazilian lifters, if one side was slacker than t'other, could be the cause, I take a good few of these apart for oil burning problems, the same one dealer sets the gaps too wide and I see it on their motors.

Phil69
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:24 am

Re: I joined the bad lifter club!

Post by Phil69 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:47 am

buildabiggerboxer wrote:I've seen that sort of damage happen when too slack on the valve clearances, some builders will specify over large gaps for the first 500, say 010" ex & in, if it gets forgotten to be re adjusted at the 500, it kills Brazilian lifters, if one side was slacker than t'other, could be the cause, I take a good few of these apart for oil burning problems, the same one dealer sets the gaps too wide and I see it on their motors.
I set mine at 0.007" on a fresh build and reset them to 0.006" (0.15mm) after the first 500miles.
I feel 0.010" is a bit excessive.

buildabiggerboxer
Posts: 614
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: I joined the bad lifter club!

Post by buildabiggerboxer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:17 pm

What happens if they are too wide on valve lash is the lifter is knocked hard by the cam lobe as it's not on the 'soft' opening ramp, minimum clearance is good, but not if you don't maintain things often, loose zero on chromo p/rods should be kind on lifters but check clearances often.

Post Reply