cylinder pressure

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
5.9northwest

cylinder pressure

Post by 5.9northwest »

I don't know what size motor i have, i just got the this bug from my brother who got it for free and he doesn't want it so i got it... i was wondering if there is a way i could find a way to see what size the motor is other taking the heads off and seeing what size the bore size is. so my question, What kind of cylinder pressure should i have?

the guy who lives next door to me has a bug and he say' that he think its bigger them a 1600dp (thats what i think i have), but this motor has 125-130 psi of cylinder press... any thoughts anyone?
FJCamper

Re: cylinder pressure

Post by FJCamper »

Hi 5.9northwest,

125-130 psi in a compression test is well within stock 1600cc readings. Brand new engines can even score higher. The best I've ever seen was 145 psi on a just-off-the-showroom-floor 1974 Sport Ghia (one of those yellow ones).

Larger displacement engines, starting at abour 1835cc and going up, will usually register 130 psi or well above.

There is no hard, fast rule for displacement vs compression. Too many variables. But some guidelines.

It sounds like you have a 1600.

FJC
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Easy, no. One could look for signs of case/head machining, or if you could get a bore scope inside and read the stampings on the piston crown.
But hardly anything is as definitive as compared to actually measuring the bore.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
5.9northwest

Post by 5.9northwest »

yeah thats what i was thinking.... does anyone know what size jets should be in a stock 1600dp with a single 2 barrel progressive webber?