Sterling serial #'s

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
Mac

Sterling serial #'s

Post by Mac »

Hi Ya'll.....Well, I'm getting these two Sterling's cleaned up but before going to much further, I need to get titles for them. I'm not anticipating too much trouble with that since they were both declared abandoned by the courts. I was planning on getting either an Abandoned or a Bonded title but have now come across an interesting possibilty.
Per Arizona Department Of Motor Vehicles:
When a vehicle is constructed, whether it be trailer, kit car or dune rail, DMV inspects it and places an ID number on it..one of those hard metal stickers. The title is registered to that number.
These cars have no ID numbers except for the original manufacturers plate with the serial number and DMV says that's not the number that they use. There is no ID plate where they said it should be.
I have crawled all over, under and inside of thse things and there are no ID plates. I even found the cactus that was growing inside one... OW..!&%#@*(*^%
These things have been sitting so long that all of the rubber brake lines etc. will crumble when you touch them and a cactus has time to grow inside. I'm thinking that they were never titled...mostly built..never completed and never registered.
So, now DMV wants the background. The OEM plate says:
STERLING SPORTS CAR KIT
CALIFORNIA KIT CARS
00225 +00710
The "BUILT BY" section has never been stamped
Does anybody have any info? Thanks, Mac.
Kubel Nick

Post by Kubel Nick »

http://www.kitcar.com/sterling/home.html
contact this guy, he still makes new sterling so should be able to give you titling ideas or new ID tags
letterman7

Post by letterman7 »

Actually, no, Mike can't do that at Solid Sterling. He's not licensed to issue VIN plates. You should be able to get the title with the VW chassis number, stamped on the hump at the back, near the inside firewall. They may want the engine numbers, too, and they are of course stamped at the base of the generator. Armed with those, and the body number, there is no reason that you can't be issued a title, especially if they've never been registered.
The 225 numbered car is a fairly early body, probably '75-76 and the 710 is near the end of the run, around 79-80.
Hope this helps!

Rick