Anyone out ever built a VW powered TRIKE? We need plans....

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
echomike19

I believe I have seen that trike

Post by echomike19 »

Here is a link to both a Trike Shop Runabout that belongs to my wife, and I am building the twin of this "Swedish" style trike in Yellow, that had the center "empty" tranny case, but lucky me, I have a 5 speed Porsche transaxle, so will not have to do that. As for keeping the front end down, not a problem. Go to www.mikehalley.com. then click on trike project.

I believe that vet has the bug back half of the body still on, I saw it when it was in primer a while ago.
Wizzard

Post by Wizzard »

I've built 2 and started one years ago . On the two that were completed I utilized a fiberglass body with a rear engine frame .
Image[/url]
We had the one in the upper right hand corner for about 10 years and had great phun with it .
Sorry , don't have any plans . If I did , I would simply give them to you as it is a worthy cause imnsho.
Regards, Wizzard
buggyblues

Post by buggyblues »

so good info for trikes and pics of a bunch of different ones at www.vwtrike.net

buggpower

Post by buggpower »

James2 wrote:I can't think of a worse idea. They handle, look and ride like crap!. Build a rail buggy, at least you can have fun off road.
thats funny you say that. have you ever owned an driven one to know this for a fact? my dad an his friend have some nicely built trikes, they handle an ride nice. railraod tracks an bumps suck in a bug, but on a trike you dont dfeel them at all. they use angle irion for a frame, then weld it to the irs suspension an they put the motor in an make a metal frame around it an then fiberglass a body over it. my dads friend has a 1045lb trike with a 1835 turbo, its very fast. my dads is 1490lbs because it has a lil bit more fiberglass on it. An why would you want to run in dunes when you can do wheelstands at takeoff... :twisted: an be fast as hell with the weakest hp.
James2

Post by James2 »

Dang, dig up something I wrote two years ago.

Ok,Ok, if you like trikes, then it's ok with me. I have riden/driven one and they DO handle poorly. Yes, they are fast, but most race tracks will not allow them on the track, the NHRA prohibits 3 wheeled vehicals.

But if you like them, then that's great. I was more then likely in a pissy mode when I posted before. :D
prdp

Post by prdp »

If you like VW trikes and you're lookin' for ideas on how to build one, check out this site http://www.bigyella.com Gives ya cool clues on makin' the frame, fiberglass fenders and other guff.
EastCoastOffRoad

Re: Anyone out ever built a VW powered TRIKE? We need plans.

Post by EastCoastOffRoad »

I am also trying to find a set of free build planes to build a mid engine vw trike. If anyone can email or pm me a copy?

Thanks
EastCoastOffRoad

Post by EastCoastOffRoad »

I think these might me two different sets of build plans. Not sure what the measurements are in, would be nice if they where in inches.
If someone can maybe redo them over in inches, thanks.

I would like to build one something like this one
david58

Post by david58 »

EastCoastOffRoad wrote:I think these might me two different sets of build plans. Not sure what the measurements are in, would be nice if they where in inches.
If someone can maybe redo them over in inches, thanks.

I would like to build one something like this one
It looks like inches to me look at the frame head it looks like 7 inches is spot on my 2005 Yamaha V Star 1100's frame head it dead nuts 7 inches.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.