hummbug info wanted

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
biggraham

hummbug info wanted

Post by biggraham »

Hi,
I just bought a Hummbug racer style body, I hear it's from 68 made in Berkely, I've had a look at dunebuggyarchives but haven't found any info.
{yet}
If any one has any info or advice. that would be fantastic.
Thanks
Graham
Shadowbug

Post by Shadowbug »

I thought a Hummbugh was a HUM-V styled bodyfor a vw platform.
I Guess thats the reason they had to change their name.
Kubel Nick

Post by Kubel Nick »

Me too HummBug, HummVee, etc. The SUV-ish kit for VWs. If so they were all made semi-recently. Probably the 1st time I've seen them pop up in mags was about a year or so after Hummer went public, in late late 90's.
Greenmanx

humbug

Post by Greenmanx »

seems like I remember a buggy called the humbug in the very early 70's. it was VERY low to the ground and had the VW engine swapped to a mid engine config. This meant that the steering and peddle cluster had to be moved forward. I may have a pic in my pile of stuff. I'll look but can't guarantee it. greenmanx
biggraham

thanks Greenmanx

Post by biggraham »

Thanks for the info.
Mid-mounted engine?
Last two I've seen on ebay never mentioned that, in fact one said it mounted to a stock vw pan...
Body's still in Oregon, maybe I should stick with the manx-ish shell I already have.....
Please dig deep,
Many thanks
Graham
Aurumen

Post by Aurumen »

my local VW shop claims to be "The home of the hummbug"...it's called LA performance. I've never really asked about it though.

Nick
Farseen

i got what you need

Post by Farseen »

all the info you will need is at www.wambatcar.com (its the hummbug web site theyjust changed name from hummbug to wambat) it will give you kits to fun key turns
hope this helps

Post by Guest »

thats www.wombatcar.com

regards 2088bob
biggraham

different hummbugs

Post by biggraham »

Thanks everyone, James managed to email me the original ad, I'm missing a piece of rear bodywork, check out thread at the Samba.
Cheers
Graham
Greenmanx

Post by Greenmanx »

Just so everybody doesn't think the old man lost it, here's the ad. Yes, there was a humbug long before the hummer/wombat/hummbug. Sorry, the pictures kind of small.....
Thanks
greenmanx
http://mysite.verizon.net/res17fxn/site ... 110h98.jpg

Forget this link, check 2 posts down, maybe I have it right now....GM
Last edited by Greenmanx on Wed May 07, 2003 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speedy57tub

Post by speedy57tub »

Image is way too small to see well! Please repost.
Greenmanx

humbug

Post by Greenmanx »

took the dinky picture down and am having a bear of a time getting it to resize. Try this link to a page on the Texas Manx LCub site. Hopefully that'll work and give some more info too. greenmanx
http://hometown.aol.com/buggypages3/index2.html
biggraham

HUMBUG INFO

Post by biggraham »

Turns out, the local buggy guys, the Lavar brothers, knew the guy who prototyped and developed these kits, who later moved to speedster kits, and have a jig for shortening chassis.
Is $500 average for shortening?
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

The Humbug's chassis was shortened by only 5" between the front bulkhead (where the brake master cylinder mounts) and the framehead, unlike any other buggy. This process is in now way as involved and therefore should be much cheaper than a traditional Manx type chassis cut. The pedals, engine etc. all stay where they are.

Living in England, I knew the car as the Can-Am; here's one of the few remaining:

biggraham

humbug

Post by biggraham »

Thanks Dave,
The guys said $500 to shorten for a manx, I'll talk to them monday about the humbug/Can Am,
I think you can still see my shell on ebay, sold for $105, what's that, about 70 quid?
Cheers
Graham