dune buggy kit

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
sonny

dune buggy kit

Post by sonny »

greetings to all this is my first post on this forum. my question is are their any manx replicas being made, and if so who makes it. if not is their any dune buggy kit being made that is close to the manx style.
UncleBob

dune buggy kit

Post by UncleBob »

There are a few companies still making bodies, and the Empi Imp was re-introduced last month. Post your question on www.dune-buggy.com for list of companies and advice. It's a great site, and where I found the 2 buggies I have now.
Jerry D

dune buggy kit

Post by Jerry D »

Sonny,
Take a look at this website, It's as close to a Manx as you can get without being a real Manx.
http://texasbuggys.netfirms.com/

Jerry...
justcallmebob

dune buggy kit

Post by justcallmebob »

Why not go with the real thing...check out www.meyersmanx.com and see the new MANXSTER as well as the Manx Dune Buggy Club they have. There are always bodies and such for sale in the clubs want ads. We have a Meyers Manx SR-II and it's always nicer knowing you have the real thing.
sonny

dune buggy kit

Post by sonny »

thanx to everybody for all the help, all the sites are great. especially the one from just callmebob......... thanx again
GS guy

dune buggy kit

Post by GS guy »

Another option, a little closer to home, is Berrien Buggy (Berrienbuggy.com). They make a Manx clone and a pretty nice tubular frame to go with it. Mfg. in Michigan, but there is a distributor in PA.
Never seen the Berrien body in person, but have heard it is a little thinner than some others. From that perspective, the Texas Buggies body is reported to be much better. Problem is shipping ($$$) that body up from Texas! Hey, at least there are some FGB bodies out there to choose from.
You also may want to consider just purchasing a rebuilt used buggy, probably be money ahead in the long run.
Jeff
Jerry D

dune buggy kit

Post by Jerry D »

I have 4 original Manx's, 1 being a Signature Manx and allthough it's nice having an original, the "Manxter" is about $10,000 for the kit with the options, I can be driving a buggy for $10,000. Being on a long pan it won't exhibit the quick handling and offroad ability of a buggy with a short wheelbase. Although the long travel suspension would be nice.
I understand the mold that is being used by Texas Buggy is an actual Manx mold made by Bruce. I don't know if that is true, but I set one of their bodys next to my original Manx and it is exact, and it cost a whole lot less then my Manx body.
Jerry....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by justcallmebob:
Why not go with the real thing...check out www.meyersmanx.com and see the new MANXSTER as well as the Manx Dune Buggy Club they have. There are always bodies and such for sale in the clubs want ads. We have a Meyers Manx SR-II and it's always nicer knowing you have the real thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Baja Jeff

dune buggy kit

Post by Baja Jeff »

I'm building a complete Manxter for about $11,000.

Meyers will be coming out with a shortened pan 2 seat version of the Manxter in the near future.
justcallmebob

dune buggy kit

Post by justcallmebob »

RE: Texas Buggy Dune Buggy. I would suspect that the more correct statement is that "they are using a mold made from a Meyers Manx"

I don't believe that Bruce Meyers did any mold work for VW based cars other than the original Manx, the Tow'd, the SR, some additional work for the SR-II as built by Karma Coachworks, and the current Manxter.

An e-mail to Bruce and Winney at www.meyersmanx.com should get a repid reply.

Any claims linking Bruce Meyers to any ones bodies should be verified with the Meyers' first.

[This message has been edited by justcallmebob (edited 12-23-2002).]
vdubsinjensen

dune buggy kit

Post by vdubsinjensen »

The Berrien chassis is excellant,and builds a very sturdy car.All the welding is done,like cable tubes,pedal box,shifter box,front beam mounts.It's better than any shortened tunnel built car.They will build em'anyway you want-kingpin,balljoint,swing,or IRS.The prices are very reasonable,compared to the hassle,and time spent on shortening one yourself.Fisher buggies makes a full rollcage that fit's Berrien's chassis,and will fit a Manx with very little mods.Paul

------------------
65'sunroof 2332 58'double-door panel 59'vert' 77'Westy 73'Superbeetle dirtrack racecar 57'tube-frame dragbug(hanging from the ceiling)
Bill Richardson

dune buggy kit

Post by Bill Richardson »

Before you go this route make sure to check with your local DMV to verify what needs to be done to get it registered once built.
Jerry D

dune buggy kit

Post by Jerry D »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by justcallmebob:
RE: Texas Buggy Dune Buggy. I would suspect that the more correct statement is that "they are using a mold made from a Meyers Manx"

I don't believe that Bruce Meyers did any mold work for VW based cars other than the original Manx, the Tow'd, the SR, some additional work for the SR-II as built by Karma Coachworks, and the current Manxter.

An e-mail to Bruce and Winney at www.meyersmanx.com should get a repid reply.

Any claims linking Bruce Meyers to any ones bodies should be verified with the Meyers' first.

Bob,
Just for the record....I didn't "Claim" that the mold Texas Buggys is using was in fact a "Manx" mold. I did say "I was told".
The fact remains that the Texas Buggy body is indentical to my "Signature Manx" with comparable quality.
There are more then a few "ORIGINAL MANX MOLDS" floating around from the demise of the B.F. Meyers Corporation, which I am sure Bruce had a hand in building. The possibility exsists that this may be one of those molds...I don't know, but it is possible.
I have no ties to Texas Buggys and I have the utmost respect for Bruce and Winnie and I am in no way attempting to slight Bruce for any of his accomplishments.
I was simply making an attempt to enlighten a person that asked a question about locating a quality Dune Buggy body.
If you want to read things into what I wrote, fine, but at least read and understand what I wrote before you read things into it. We need more open minded people that know everything!
Thanks,
Jerry....
Jerry D

dune buggy kit

Post by Jerry D »

Sonny,
I am building a Signature Manx on a Berrian chassis and would highly recommend them. On the other hand my brother bought a Berrian Nostalgia body and has spent a couple hundred dollars in fiberglass to strengthen the body to be somewhat close to the same strength as the Manx. When I picked the Berrian body up for him,the headlights were allready mounted on the body along with the hood. After 30 or 40 miles I pulled over and removed the headlights because I was afraid the fenders would crack, from the way they were bouncing.
Jerry...
justcallmebob

dune buggy kit

Post by justcallmebob »

Jerry

I agree with what you are saying. What I said was not aimed at you, but at any claim that any one made about "Their" product being made from a MANX mold or otherwise connected with Bruce's past efforts.

Over the years I have heard no less than 25 claims that a vendors bodies were being made "under license" "from the original mold" "with written permission of" and even in one case, a claim of "original Meyers Manx bodies" was made.

When I built my first dune buggy in 1968 Bruce was making bodies and every garage in town was making knock-offs. I got stuck with an inferior body and vowed I would never take the low road again, even if I have to wait a little longer to get what I wanted. My Meyers Manx SR-II body is almost 30 years old and except for a few scrapes and minor gel coat cracking (now repainted) it still fits great and the doors open and latch like it was new.

Anyway, maybe I am a little sensitive about how Bruce's name is sometimes tossed around...

No harm intended...

[This message has been edited by justcallmebob (edited 12-27-2002).]