What is this Car I Found!????

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
redfarmer84

What is this Car I Found!????

Post by redfarmer84 »

The best I can tell from the pictures (I saw this at someones hosue that recently passed, and didn't bother to remove the tarp to try and not lurk too much), this is a kit car. I know the daughter that owns all this now lives around 600 miles away and most likely wants to sell/clean the place up. I went there looking at a tractor and saw this gem. Wish I would have looked closer. I have reserched "kit cars" online and with little info it's been hard to try to see what exactly it is. The closest thing I have found is a car called an Aztec 2. It looks close, but not exactly. I would love to know more about it and what it is worth....I am thinking about making an offer on it if you guys think it is worth it. Also....the only reason I am posting on the VW site is becuase I heard alot of kit cars used the VW engine. Surely someone on here knows what it is. THANKS!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ALYKAT III

Re: What is this Car I Found!????

Post by ALYKAT III »

I believe that is a Kellison Astra GT. Pretty decent looking cars. There are a couple of kit car forums out there that might be helpful if you do get the car.
david58

Post by david58 »

redfarmer84

Post by redfarmer84 »

Ok....found out it is an Astra VW GT 2+2. Apparently it isn't a Kellison since he didn't have anything to do with design.

Does anyone know ANYTHING about them??? I would like to know as much I can before I go back to look at it and make an offer on it. What problem areas to look for, production numbers, value (body only or complete non-running car), etc.

Thanks for the help guys!
david58

Post by david58 »

BL3Manx wrote:Here's an article about Kellison

http://www.kitcarmag.com/thehistoryof/0 ... ewall.html

This is the part about it:

Astra VW-GT 2+2: A VW-based kit that vaguely resembled a Ford GT, but appeared to be roughly based on a Fiberfab Aztec. It was made by Allied Fiberglass, but I don't know if Kellison had anything to do with its design or production.
Letterman7 wrote:Designed by Kellison, marketed by Allied: http://www.kellisoncars.com/
Click the GT40 link.
http://thumbnails.homestead.com/files/9019.jpg
http://www.allcarindex.com/auto-car-mod ... -VW-GT-22/
redfarmer84

Post by redfarmer84 »

I got it guys!!!!!!! Bought the car last week! Now I wanna do a full restore! You think it's worth it???
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

We'll tell you when its done! :lol:

Red', if it pleases you when you bought it and, after remorse sets in, it still pleases you then it is a good purchase; what others think is helpful but they should not dissuade/bum-you-out you on your build. We're here to give you support, help and ideas to make your build easier and... you finish it.

What kind of use do you plan for it (I hope not off-road :wink: )? What kind of running gear does it have; e.g., king & link and swing or IRS or ball-joint and swing or IRS does it have? What is the condition of the pan? Ya gotta start a build thread w/photos which you already know how to do; get started, times a wasting. You can retitle this string into a build thread by changing the title during an edit of the first post.

Wash and clean up the inside of the car then take documenting pictures (and post the best of them in your build string) keep a build log with receipts and thoughts; reviewing the log later on is going to surprise you on how many things change during the build and how much it costs in the end.

Get your garage and tools cleaned so you can work on it inside during the cold months which are coming fast.

Lee
ALYKAT III

Post by ALYKAT III »

Good for you ! First step is to get the car. Second serious clean up. Third determine exactly what you have..ie. over all condition, good and bad points, what is there & what is missing. Fourth decide wether to keep it or flip it. Last ,get it running and drive as is - improve it a bit and drive it - full on restoration. Lots of avenues here, but you have made the first step. Looking forward to see where you go from here.
redfarmer84

Post by redfarmer84 »

Ended up paying $650 for the Astra VW GT Car, a 1950s John Deere A tractor (parts tractor), and a 1966-68 VW Beetle (complete, stuck engine), plus some extra doors and rear hood for the VW. Thought I got a fair deal. The VW engine in the Astra car is loose, all wheels/rims are rusted through and the rears are frozen and won't roll. The body seems solid and not "beat up". Found out a little story about it.....in the late 60s the Previous Owner bought it and built it himself. He was a pilot in the Air Force and flew in WW2. In the early 70s, he had (2) tours overseas. For both tours, he shipped the Astra GT car over to Germany and he and his wife toured the countrysides in Germany, Switzerland, and other countries. The odometer (assuming it worked) shows just under 10,000 miles. I also got a service mans book for working on VW engines. Inside, I found a MINT, perfect reciept from a VW dealer....like a service ticket or something. I couldn't tell you what it is becuase.....it's all in GERMAN!!!! Both the print and the handwriting. The ticket is date stamped September 1971....which holds up to the story the daughter told me! He must have taken the car in for service over there! I told her before she tosses anything in the trash, to be on the lookout for ANY other paperwork, pictures, or manuals regarding the Astra GT car. It would be awesome to have some pictures of it overseas! The previous owner is still alive (93 years old), but has severe dementia and doesn't know anything. It is ashame I couldn't talk with him about his car.

I'm planning on doing a full restoration....hope it doesn't break the bank!
redfarmer84

Post by redfarmer84 »

Pics...........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redfarmer84

Post by redfarmer84 »

more pics.....
Marc

Post by Marc »

Looks like he bought the parts to reseal one of the rear wheel bearings.
redfarmer84

Post by redfarmer84 »

Really!? Awesome translation then! THANKS
Marc

Post by Marc »

Not a translation, just a logical inference (I don't read German either).
From the ditto marks in the 3rd column they're all evidently the same type of part, shall we say "seal".
European numeral 1s have a big serif so they look like 7s to us; I recognize the first three P/Ns as the large & small O-rings and the main seal. Can't make out the 4th P/N from the picture though...perhaps it's the paper gasket. The cotter pin would've been N 012 545 1, apparently he didn't need one.
Chris4747

Post by Chris4747 »

hey have you been able to make any progress on the astra gt ?
instant gratification by hard work and determination granted by GODS hands