noobie checkin in from TX...

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
portlyparatroop

noobie checkin in from TX...

Post by portlyparatroop »

Longtime lurker and first time poster. I've been blowing up ya'lls search function and especially the conversion perversion section. I'm about to post a build thread over in that section, but wanted to holler out at my fellow kit car guys!
Here's a pic of my project...
GS guy

Re: noobie checkin in from TX...

Post by GS guy »

Cool, a Hustler. Don't see to many of them that's for sure. I even wonder how many AD ever made?
More pics!
portlyparatroop

You got it... Autodynamics Hustler model, one of only fourty-three ever made. :shock:
I'm posting up a build thread on it over in conversion perversions (going with a frankenstein subaru motor)
portlyparatroop

this section of STF is pretty quiet I guess... I've been here lurking for about a year now and guess I wasn't watching the date of when stuff was posted. Thought it'd be a bit more active?

Other than volksworld, here, samba, and aussieVW'ers are there any other places to chit-chat? (active ones?)
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Samba is probably the most active forum for kits and buggies - though it seems mostly to cater to buggies. With such a unique car, other than the VW portion you might feel a bit "isolated" when it comes to common stuff to talk about! Heck, I've got a Deserter GS buggy and only have a handful of GS guys I can discuss "in depth" features of the car with. You'll find yourself asking and later answering a lot of your own questions!

We have a Deserter Owners Group on the Yahoo forums - and surely you'd be a welcome addition with the "family" heritage, but don't expect a lot of traffic there either! It seems, even with hundreds of members, 99.95% prefer to be lurkers and only a few post semi-regularly. I suppose that's probably common to a lot of web boards?

Jeff
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

PS - just looking at your car at the top of the thread - it would really look slick with a set of BRMs mounted up and a touch of lowering!

Jeff
portlyparatroop

GS guy wrote:PS - just looking at your car at the top of the thread - it would really look slick with a set of BRMs mounted up and a touch of lowering!

Jeff
I had planned on lowering a touch, the front's dropped 2" now and will match the rear soon...
What is a "set of BRMs"??? If they're some type of rim I'd like to hear about them, I'm not fond of what's on there now.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... C38-DR-710

Neat thing is they come in 5.5" and 6.5" widths, and must be another manufacturer of a near identical style wheel in a 5" width. Gives you some room for a little more rim and tire on the back.

Jeff
portlyparatroop

ok... I've got to pass on those rims... I like the black color, but they just aren't "doin it" for me?

I'd thought the classic black mags (rounded spoke style) with the brushed aluminum edges, but am still on the fence...
I do like the way you're thinking though! I've got a TON more details to iron out first (drivetrain) and should stumble across something I can live with before I'm ready to put it back on the road....
Yo-Adrian

Post by Yo-Adrian »

Well don't feel alone there are a lot of us out here, we are just under cover. It's like we love the bug, but just seem to have another cover on it lol. I am also starting my rebuild on my speedster and posting but right now trying to get the parts and upgrades purchased first. Thats a nice car, never seen it before and i have been around kitcars for a long while.