KART

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
Sepi

Re: KART

Post by Sepi »

Hello Lee!
I had a pipe about half meter long and We pressed maybe half of that and then I just simply bent following the shape of mudguard. Rear ones are about 45 degrees, which means that I had to bent it also another way to be sideway. I try to find and send a photo of that system. My English is not so good to explain more and pictures will tell more. I am a bit worried for those rear brackets as it seems to make not only up and down moves, but also front and back. I left about two inch gap between tire and mudguard.
IRS rear suspension causes more problems, because there is not many places to fit it. I usein the rubber bumper plate and 8 mm screws
Sepi

Post by Sepi »

Hello Lee!
I had a pipe about half meter long and We pressed maybe half of that and then I just simply bent following the shape of mudguard. Rear ones are about 45 degrees, which means that I had to bent it also another way to be sideway. I try to find and send a photo of that system. My English is not so good to explain more and pictures will tell more. I am a bit worried for those rear brackets as it seems to make not only up and down moves, but also front and back. I left about two inch gap between tire and mudguard.
IRS rear suspension causes more problems, because there is not many places to fit it. I usein the rubber bumper plate and 8 mm screws
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Sepi, your english is fine, better than a lot of people who are supposed to know it :wink: :lol: .

Both swing and IRS setups deal with two arcs. To state the obvious: on a IRS it is from the trans but using the splines at each end of the half shafts/drive axles to keep the in and out motion of the rim and wheel moderated while the other arc is from a combination of the trailing arm and the spring plate.

On the swing axle the two arcs are also: from the trans and the spring plate. The swing axle shows the tilting of the tire during the axle's arc in both the compression and opposite direction of travel while with the IRS it also has some of the tilt but not as obvious as with the swing axle setup because of the CV joints.

I guess the strength of the fender depends on the "to housing mounts" and the tube or stock used and there is several ways to do it. Look at motorcycles and bicycles for general ideas but the base bracketry is very important to the strength of the fenders, especially the rear fenders with all the loading that goes into and through them and the combined weight of the fenders.

How much deflection do you have if you lightly press down on the outer edge of the fenders then press a bit harder. If you used tube then you have two surfaces to deal with but wall thickness is also a player. Solid rod works OK but it can and will take a set from too much abuse and not want to budge from the unwanted set very well.

Nothing is really simple is it. :wink:

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Sepi, since the last post you got me doing a lot of thinking (soul searching) also doing a bunch of metal forming tool searching dealing with the fender support brackets I am going to have to make on my black buggy.

No matter how I look at them it is now looking like they are going to have to be custom formed; probably from flat stock with custom shaped stiffening flanges welded in place for each side of the support bracket. It will (probably) be the same process for the opposite fender as I doubt they are mirrored pieces.

I then am going to have to do something similar for the rear fender especially if I use the reformed Model A taillight brackets I made years ago.

Life isn't always fair is it but continue on in the direction you are heading but, at the same time, don't be afraid to re-look at things either.

Lee
Sepi

Post by Sepi »

This is how my KART looks now - and lot of sunshine here in Finland :-)

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Looking real good!

Lee
Cancerman

Post by Cancerman »

That looks like a hoot to drive. Nice work!