Shoptalkforums.com

For Your Air Cooled Pleasure!
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:04 pm
Posts: 5329
Location: Lakeside, CA
baja5 wrote:
No worries, I just picked up a couple of things that have rusty bodies, and are getting turned into more Desert style cars, so i have a bunch of stock stuff to unload.


Give mattt a holler, ya Thing peddler. :lol:

_________________
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: 1973 thing parts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:38 pm
Posts: 2
i just got done restoring my 73 i have many good reusable pieces left over all 4 windows with good frames poor plastic that has been redone,complete top with frame top has holes and the header piece needs to be welded or replaced,almoit all rubber moldings in good shape i just replaced them all cause i could. thats the major stuff let me know if there is any interest in some or all or something i did not mention.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1973 thing parts
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:50 pm
Posts: 553
Location: Rogers, Ar.
jeff 9900 wrote:
i just got done restoring my 73 i have many good reusable pieces left over all 4 windows with good frames poor plastic that has been redone,complete top with frame top has holes and the header piece needs to be welded or replaced,almoit all rubber moldings in good shape i just replaced them all cause i could. thats the major stuff let me know if there is any interest in some or all or something i did not mention.

What area are you in Jeff? I may want a soft-top frame if you still have it. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:50 pm
Posts: 553
Location: Rogers, Ar.
CopperBaja wrote:
baja5 wrote:
No worries, I just picked up a couple of things that have rusty bodies, and are getting turned into more Desert style cars, so i have a bunch of stock stuff to unload.


Give mattt a holler, ya Thing peddler. :lol:

Do you have a straight driver's side door ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 181 Swap and Sell
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:22 pm
Posts: 2421
Location: Ramona Ca.
Not that i am selling, sorry. Got a few rear bumpers left, and some safari rear seats, and a stock oil bath air filter. Not much else.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 181 Swap and Sell
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:07 pm
Posts: 1
Kubelmann,
I would like to level the stance of my 74 Thing. It is all stock, including the tires, and the back end is lower than the front. I prefer either level or slightly raised in the back. The torsion arms in the back have the spring plates only about 3/8" from the stops, so I'm thinking that going one notch further on the splines would be too close to the stops and still not much lift. What I am thinking is to get some taller 14" tires for my stock 'wide 5' rims. Do you have any recommendation on where to get some? Local Discount tire had nothing.. Thanks
-Green181


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 181 Swap and Sell
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:11 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:14 pm
Posts: 14017
Location: Georgia near Savannah
green181 wrote:
Kubelmann,
I would like to level the stance of my 74 Thing. It is all stock, including the tires, and the back end is lower than the front. I prefer either level or slightly raised in the back. The torsion arms in the back have the spring plates only about 3/8" from the stops, so I'm thinking that going one notch further on the splines would be too close to the stops and still not much lift. What I am thinking is to get some taller 14" tires for my stock 'wide 5' rims. Do you have any recommendation on where to get some? Local Discount tire had nothing.. Thanks
-Green181

Welcome to the STF green181. You could notch your spring plates and keep your tires.

_________________
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 181 Swap and Sell
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:20 am
Posts: 1603
Location: East of Dallas TX
Got somebody that will probably need a front beam, or at least the thing specific trailing arms (does anyone know the pn's ?)
and she is looking for a hard top.

Rob


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 181 Swap and Sell
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:01 am
Posts: 1379
The Thing beam is 181 400 025 for a 73/74
upper torsion arms are 181405103 (left)
181405 104 (Right)
Lower arms are 181405 151 (left) 181 405 152 (Right)

Note:
When there is a right and left VW part the left part ends in an odd number and the right side ends with an even number


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 181 Swap and Sell
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:35 pm
Posts: 5
Location: So. Cali.
Hi I'm looking for a rear view, and side mirrors, seat belts, visors, and the "VW" emblem for the front.
Jim at:
TitaniumXRC@yahoo.com

Thanks

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 181 Swap and Sell
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:11 pm
Posts: 10
Hello - looking for a "thing" project ---- Father - son deal (mostly father I bet) my 15 yr old son picked a 181 --- after I told him "NO" to 914 - beetle - dune buggy ....... for his first driver (it will be mine ) that he can use ------ in Savannah ga but willing to pick up with in about 500 miles --- nice 2 day road trip with the kid ----- thanks 912-210-017 5 Scott


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 181 Swap and Sell
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:01 am
Posts: 1379
Let the group have some idea about your budget for the project. That might bring more responses. K-mann


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 181 Swap and Sell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:01 am
Posts: 3
Location: Rehoboth Beach De
Want a Left hand driver curtain frame to make a toll window and burger friendly screen

_________________
BobsThing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 181 Swap and Sell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:01 am
Posts: 1379
If you have a bare metal frame, you can turn it into a left or right. I have a local guy who is now recovering bare frames better than new. I do have bare metal frames available.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 181 Swap and Sell
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 18
Location: MI
I have a rusty thing pan and rusty (between beams) ft beam,(stripped) has rear trailing arms attached. Jack points, battery tray,pedal area out to edge gone, seam rust along dr. seat tracks, and along tunnel, some holes, P.M. for pics, best offer.
RWK


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group