Tire size

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
Advokat

Tire size

Post by Advokat »

A few weeks ago I posted about wheel/tire size and Bob Ingman was good enough to enlighten me about yet another issue.

I have now purchased the Empi style 8 spokers (15" x 5.5") and had planned to go with some 205 75 15's all the way around.

The tires on the car when purchased were 215 75 14. Do I have to go with 75 series tires this time or can I get away with a lower profile? Just wondering since I am not planning to go off-road.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Advokat (edited 02-12-2003).]
Bob Ingman

Tire size

Post by Bob Ingman »

Avokat the low profile will actually simplify things for you. Its the big tars that are hard to fit.You will have to allow for about an inch to compensate for the wheel adapters. Post some pictures on the Gallery thread when you get set. Good luck. Bob Ingman

[This message has been edited by Bob Ingman (edited 02-12-2003).]
Advokat

Tire size

Post by Advokat »

Hey Bob!

Actually, I only have to go w/wheel adaptors on the rears as I am going to use Vince's front disc conversion kit (4 lug rotors).

How low on the profile? I was thinking like anywhere from a 60 on up to maybe 70?

Thanks
BobMiller

Tire size

Post by BobMiller »

Advocat
You didn't mention if you were going to raise the front of your car. With about a 3" lift, and a little contouring of the back of the headlight bucket, you can use about a 27" tall tire. I am using P215/75-15's on 6" wide rims with only about 1/4" positive offset.

When you fit new rims and tires, the fact that they clear then isn't enough. The tire appears to get larger when it turns, that is it moves forward some, On top of this, add what happens when you hit the brakes in a turn, that's the worse case scenerio you have to watch for, the front of the car comes down and the tire and the back of the headlight bucket become intimate with each other

It's a sudden surprise when these two come into contact and the wheel gets jerked in that direction.

Been there, done that

------------------
1966 MANX SR2 (Karma Coachworks), 1974 VW THING
Advokat

Tire size

Post by Advokat »

Good point, Bob Miller.

I am not going to raise the beast, leaving well enough alone. Maybe some new front shocks in the near future, but nothing radical or off-roadish-no coil overs or anything like that.

Thanks,
Rick
Bob Ingman

Tire size

Post by Bob Ingman »

Bob do you think he is going to install a low profile tire and want to raise the car? The two do not go together.
Advokat the rear has plenty of room for the adapters so should be fine there. I`d say that since you have no adapters in front that any 205 tire will go on just fine. Good luck. Bob Ingman
BobMiller

Tire size

Post by BobMiller »

Advokat

Then the real answer is Yes, you can use the 205/75-15's if you are careful. There is still a possibility of tire to headlight bucket contact when braking during a turn.

As an aside, There is no shortage of raised and lowered cars in Southern California with low profile tires. It's often a matter of choice, style, whats currently cool, etc, not need...

------------------
1966 MANX SR2 (Karma Coachworks), 1974 VW THING
JayR

Post by JayR »

What was the out come of this tire issue? are the 205 75 x15 ok? was their any rubbing in breaking in the front wheel well. I have purhase a set of rims from Rocky mtn motorworks OEM cromes 15x4.5 and looking at the yokohama avid touring the stand 27.1 in

Is that pushing it?